• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Academic transcript submission for internships (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hi all,

I'm going to be applying for internships (and I'm sure a lot of people here are as well) and a lot of them ask for online submissions of academic transcripts. I'm not quite sure about what form they're after or find acceptable.

Do I simply scan my result notices that are usually sent to me through the mail? Do I need to actually provide a scan of the real transcript? Or can I just type in my results in a word file (which I know Macquarie is fine with because the website actually says so but I'm not sure about other firms which don't specify)?

Also, if a firm requests an academic transcript for an interview, would the result notices I get from the mail suffice? or do I have to go and order the actual transcripts?

Thanks.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In my experience most online applications include a spot for you to type it in yourself or upload a PDF (have you considered using Print to PDF from your uni's online results or email?).

Usually you need to bring in the originals or some kind of printout to your assessment centre/interview (depending on the firm). Most are understanding that you do not have a certified genuine results printout. I've never seen or heard of a firm requiring originals- the only time I've ever used originals is when I was enrolling in CA.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
How difficult is it to get an internship? (particularly in the financial services) I am aware it is extremely competitive, though I would like to hear from people who've managed to score one and their background in terms of academic results and extra-curricular activities. Most of the people I knew who got internships were like presidents of the XYZ society and have HD averages (i.e. perfect all rounders in everything), so if there is anyone who wasn't like that and got an internship, I would like to hear from you, to give me some glimmer of hope lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Academics aren't everything. Your social skills and extra cirrcular are also important. Probably moreso.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Academics aren't everything. Your social skills and extra cirrcular are also important. Probably moreso.
What I meant was that I've so far only heard of people getting internships who were absolutely crash hot at both academics (HD averages) and extra-curricular activities (president of one or multiple societies). I mean what chance does someone with a more modest academic record (D average) and more modest extra-curricular activities (participates regularly in extra-curricular activities but is not an executive/president of a society) have against these superhumans? lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What I meant was that I've so far only heard of people getting internships who were absolutely crash hot at both academics (HD averages) and extra-curricular activities (president of one or multiple societies). I mean what chance does someone with a more modest academic record (D average) and more modest extra-curricular activities (participates regularly in extra-curricular activities but is not an executive/president of a society) have against these superhumans? lol
I disagree. A lot of the guys I know who got internships (at least in Big4) were not HD averages nor were they necessarily the ones with the longest list of extra curriculars. It depends on the job you are applying for as some (e.g. banks/trading floors) value academics (as a requirement of the position) a lot more than others (e.g. firms) which may focus on a more balanced profile such as how you present yourself to clients and willingness to learn.

Really, it comes down to the job you're applying for though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)