Accompanists (1 Viewer)

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Hey all

I'm performing 3 violin pieces for my hsc next friday, just wondering if i HAVE to have an accompanist? Do i lose marks if i don't? I have asked my music teacher, shes kinda lost and has no clue... I think i might scrap the accompanist if its not necessary cause 1 week is not much practice time lol.

Thanks!

Cerry

HSC
To my knowledge, it's not compulsory. However, if your pieces have accompaniments for them, then you'd be kind of stupid not to use them - they're there so that the pieces sound complete, because music for solo instruments (with the exception of the piano) is usually a reduction of a two or more part piece, usually for a piano or orchestra.

That being said, most accompanists will shoot you for giving so little notice, even though they'll often only have one rehearsal with you anyway. They have to learn the pieces. Incidentally, since externally marked exams don't start until the 8th, your teacher must be marking this performance on friday, and therefore can't mark you down for something that she doesn't have a clue about. I'd get on to an accompanist ASAP to organise accompaniment for your actual performance exam though.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Thanks Cerry... I appreciate it. I think i'll screw the accompanist for the trial performance and get one for the hsc perofrmance

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
you would screw your accompanisy??
:O that's soo naughty!!!!

i've heard from all of the music teachers i know that you MUST have an accompanist for pieces you are playing that are written with accompaniment....apparently thats what the board of studies say.....

how did the thing go anyway???
did you get away with not having an accompanist?
did you SCREW your accompanist :p

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
For some performances, having an accompanist for a piece that is supposed to have an accompanist is essential, to show that you're able to work with the accompanist. Music is not always a solo effort, it's also listening skills and how you handle dynamics with another performer in the piece.

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
yeh thats exactly right.... part of the marking criteria is how you work as an ensemble with your accompanist and whether you lead the piece [which is what your supposed to do, not just follow along with your accompanist :p]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)