• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Accounting Cadetship/Internship --Part Time (1 Viewer)

lusters

HSC
Hey guys,

Is anyone aware of any accounting firms (mid tier/small) that offer cadetships/internships that allow you to study full time and work part time?

I'm hoping to get some experience and since UNSW Commerce has 12 contact hours in first year it would allow me to work part time but I can't seem to find a firm that offers this.

Thank you

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Dont think there are any, but if there are, it would be a small firm.

Best bet is to try seek.com

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Small firms will do some part-time but it's more bookkeeping/data entry style jobs where they make you work for any 2 days of the week basically entering journals and stuff, proper cadetship wise very rare to get part-time hours (unless you already went full-time with the firm before) , it's much more cost efficient/return for them to make you do full-time work and there's always heaps of takers nowadays so they dont need to be trying to cater for students too much.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
It's very uncommon, but they do exist. Im proof of that! Though my job is 3 days per week, and I generally don't take more than 3 units a semester because its a lot of commitment.

My job is not the traditional cadetship as such, but I still do a broad range of work and have gained a lot of skills because of my job. It's very much a permanent job and I am not restricted by how long in have to complete my degree. My pay rate is also significantly better than it was at my cadetship, but that's probably more of an exceotiy than standard!

As Chronost said, many undergraduate joins are bookkeeping but there are jobs, just very uncommon and generally very much in the suburbs. http://m.seek.com.au/job/30263341 is the only example I could find in Sydney currently. And new part time jobs are generally once every 3-4 months were there are usually one or two full time jobs constantly advertised.

As we all said, they're very uncommon, very difficult to find non bookkeeping and probably even harder to get. You also need to consider your days at uni might not be the days they want you. IMO, try and find a full time role around the start of next semester and make your timetable work around your job.

Best of luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)