• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Accounting Employment Opportunities If Graduate after Semester 1? (1 Viewer)

sHoCkWaVe

HSC
Hi all. I am a soon to be USYD B. Commerce student this year, formerly from UTS's B. Business. To cut the king story short, due to the pain in the arse that is credit transfers when transferring unis, if I were to proceed to USYD, I would have to do 4 first year subs (6 credit points each), in addition to proceeding with 2xxx subs and 3xxx subs in my second and third years respectively.

If I were to go, I would have 2 options:

1. Overload two semesters with an additional sub each, and then do the remaining to in this year's Summer School.

2. Enjoy uni life, just take the normal sem load of 4 subs, but this would set my graduation back by a semester.

I want to know which option is better?

And If I were to take option 2, that means that I won't be graduating in the 'normal' ceremony time as all those other regular (start their courses on March) B. Com students here and in every other uni, which I am guessing would be either in December or May (since USYD has graduation ceremonies on May, June, October and December). I am guessing I'll be graduating in October.

So basically, I'm worried about my employment opportunities if I were to take Option 2, since I'm guessing that most accounting firms hire new graduates at the end/beginning of the year (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So basically, since many unis have graduation ceremonies that aren't the 'main' ones (such as before or after the main bulk of the students graduate, like people who graduate after Semester 1), how are those students who graduate in those 'unusual' times suppose to get employed if it's not employment season yet then?

What are we suppose to do if I were to put myself in that situation? Serve burgers at Hungry Jacks for half a year until the employment season opens again?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
thought of working as commercial accountant?!

i was a first year finisher when i found a part time commercial account assist position til now...

you dont' have to be workin an accounting firm to be an accountant u know...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)