Administration and Maintaining the Empire (AIII - RII) (1 Viewer)

sleepplease

HSC
Guys,
I dont' really understand the concept of administration and maintaining the empire and I have searched relentlessly for information I can understand.

I get that Nubia was tightly controlled and the vassles with a divide and rule sort of strategy (Giles) I also know about the way each pharaoh adminstered the region

What I DONT get is the actual runnings of it - like the Viceroy of Kush was in charge of Palestine but then who underneath him? how did temples/garrisons fit into this? when did the egyptianisation of Nubia begin? What was that thing about taking the kids of rulers to egypt to egyptianise them?

My knowledge is so scant.

Please help. :(

X

xeuyrawp

Okay, let me start by saying that you're forgetting a big thing, which I'll come back to later.

As it stands, it sounds like you've got a pretty good understanding of things. Just for clarification, though, Kush was south of Egypt (ie in modern day Sudan), not in Palestine. The Viceroy of Kush obviously then looked after that area (not Palestine).

Temples fit more into the economic (rather than imperial) system of Egypt, although ones in the south such as Abu Simbel, Soleb, etc certainly played an important role as propaganda.

With regards to 'Egyptianisation', do you think that people whom Egypt conquered were Egyptianised in the same way that the Romans Romanised? The short answer is no: Whilst the Egyptians loved to conquer, they didn't convert people to Egyptians, although they did assert control over them.

About Nubia: It's difficult to say when it started. It's possible that Egyptians were roaming around there before the Old Kingdom. The problem was that Nubia and Kush were constantly 'lost' by Egyptian forces, ie every 20 years or so, the Egyptian army had to go there to reassert itself. (Hint: Army. ;))

About Princes being taken to Egypt. Think this one through: If you were taken from your parents at a young age (say, 2 years old) and brought up in North Korea, would you be a person who loves Australia and speaks English, or would you be a person who loves North Korea, and speaks Korean? The keyword here is indoctrination; the Egyptians took local princes in order to indoctrinate them.

Okay, so what are you missing here? The military. The Egyptian military was the central part of administering and maintaining the so-called empire. If you get a question like this, you simply have to also talk about military campaigns and their involvement in the expansion or strengthening of borders, as well as maintaining peace and order.

sleepplease

HSC
Pwar, I saw this in time for my exam and it reassured me greatly. I should have replied to thankyou at the time, but was consumed with HSC stress and selfishness - sorry! Thankyou so much for taking the time to post.
:)

X

xeuyrawp

sleepplease said:
Pwar, I saw this in time for my exam and it reassured me greatly. I should have replied to thankyou at the time, but was consumed with HSC stress and selfishness - sorry! Thankyou so much for taking the time to post.
:)
No problemo! Glad to help. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)