Advanced English - Need some advice. (1 Viewer)

McSpitfire

Wendell Sailor
The grandstands at OKI Jubilee.. (Actually, Cronul
HSC
Right,

Since a week after Term 1 started, I have seen myself as being tired, bored, unmotivated, and distracted and this is affecting my work in class. Maybe it's because of that Physical Journey topic or the essays that my teacher has been giving us. Hell, it might be because my teacher is laid-back and too lenient. Maybe it's because of my trip to the United States. I was there for nearly two months, arrived home in Sydney a day before school started and I probably didn't have enough time to get myself settled for school.

I feel as if I'm on thin ice because of this; my teacher has been speaking to me after class at least four times in the past few weeks. Today he noticed that my work wasn't really up to scratch for today's lesson so he gave me a five minute lecture about how my work wasn't like my fellow classmates; This woke me up a little to do something about it. It's weird too, every other subject is fine and my quality of work is excellent. Even maths, and that was the subject that I hated last year. Mind you, English last year was one of my best subjects and especially during the School Certificate where I got 84 marks.

Now, what I need to know is how I can improve the quality of my work during lessons and how I can pay attention more. Any tips will be gladly welcomed and I will take into account every suggestion that you guys can give me :) When you do I will be forever in your debt :p

Thanks.

Last edited:

huhwotsthis

HSC
It's hard to settle into year 11. I know my work isn't up to scratch, especially English. Eat breakfast if you don't. I say, if you are still settling in from your trip, just start fresh after the upcoming holidays.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I have the same problem. Some of the teachers give me lectures after class about my attitude or lack of note taking skills, and lack of sustained effort. I'm not motivated to try in class, i just do my work at home, theres very little anyway.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
McSpitfire said:
Now, what I need to know is how I can improve the quality of my work during lessons and how I can pay attention more. Any tips will be gladly welcomed and I will take into account every suggestion that you guys can give me :) When you do I will be forever in your debt :p

Thanks.
I've found having a neat English book (or neat and organised loose leaf system) can do wonders in making sure that you pay attention in class, and write stuff neatly. It ensures that you take pride in your work.

McSpitfire

Wendell Sailor
The grandstands at OKI Jubilee.. (Actually, Cronul
HSC
huhwotsthis said:
I say, if you are still settling in from your trip, just start fresh after the upcoming holidays.
Will do.

Aerath said:
I've found having a neat English book (or neat and organised loose leaf system) can do wonders in making sure that you pay attention in class, and write stuff neatly. It ensures that you take pride in your work.
My work has been pretty sloppy in past weeks, I suppose I should start fresh with a new notebook.

Thanks!

Shoubadoo

HSC
McSpitfire said:
Right,

Thanks.

Hi McSpitty,

Firstly- the fact that you acknowledge you're not doing as well as you used to is cool. Means you want to change.

I know what it's like getting back into the flow of school life after being overseas, as I was in Germany for a few months before the start of year 11.
When I started the year, I found that I had lost my creative ebb when it came to English!
My heart wasn't in the tasks I was given. I wasn't motivated.

I tried forcing myself to come up with ideas when it came to a creative story task, but I couldn't come up with anything. And I compared myself to a friend who is a fantastic writer. Then suddenly this idea popped into my head, and I wrote my story, handed it in- and topped the class.
It was so unexpected.

I think that because English is such a creative subject, how you're feeling can result in your work changing, which is maybe why it's only really happening with English. You're in your first senior year- it's a whole new chapter.

Try paying attention in class. If you’re not now, it’s cause you realise you’re work isn’t as good as it used to be, so not paying attention is a result of how you’re feeling- not confident in the subject, and not cause you don’t care about the subject.
When you get home, skim over the work you’ve done in class that day. I don’t know what you need motivation for- learning a topic and its themes, or creative writing or something, so I don’t really know what to write in terms of motivating yourself. But it’ll definitely come, and soon you’ll have moved forward and you’ll be doing great in English again.

Yeah so probably none of what I just wrote will be any help to you. Go me, ha.
But hopefully you'll at least know that people can relate to how your'e feeling.

Last edited:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I reckon that English is one of those subjects where if you want to do well, you actually have to change your attitude to it - don't think of it as 'this is a waste of time' or 'this is shit'. While effort also plays a big part in it, if you have a good attitude you'll find it much easier. :D

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I think my english teacher is making me even more confused at english. It's like she doesn't know how to explain the concepts, she kind of goes around in circles without geting any solid facts down, and then she just makes the class do lots of practice tests, which are completely useless, because she doesn't explain how to improve the work, just that it's not good enough. And she expects everybody to be getting C's, and only the top few people to get a B!

Can anybody please explain how to write properly with stream of consciousness in 3rd person?

When i try, I attempt to get that flow of thoughts and opinions in the mind, but then the story gets nowhere, and i only have a word limit of 700 words.

Felix Jones

HSC
first of all, i reckon there's too much going around on in your head so you can't really concentrate properly...sooo try to focus.

for the lack of motivation bit, you can try a lot of stuff, my favorite: first set ur self a goal in English e.g. getting a mark of 90 in hsc, then imagine that you have achieved that. this can, in most cases provide a lot of motivation for people as they get a taste of victory.

but if that doesn't work, breakdown your tasks, too many times i see myself and other falling in the trap of looking at what they have to do and giving up before they even begin, due to the sheer mass of the workload.

what i suggest is that when your writing an essay for example, pretend and convince yourself that this is the only task you have at this moment. this will not only motivate you (the goal is so near) but also it relaxes you, this help you to calm down mentally and helps you get your ideas through better.

English is one of those subjects where you just have to be persistent, don't at any stage just say "who cares!", because English the only subject that actually counts in ur HSC.

lastly....good luck from Moey, and if that isn't motivation, i don't know hat is. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

skynet89

HSC
LOL year 11 is piss easy man. chillax the teachers make it seem a lot harder than it is.

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm rather bored with english as well.
I also pretend to do work in class and do it at home as I can write WAY more and WAY better.

If you can't concentrate and are feeling unmotivated I can make a few suggestions.

Fish oil (not what I would do but if it works for you...).

Increasing your motivation for another subject often makes all subjects more enjoyable (for me anyway).

Choose related texts you enjoy (obviously).

My english teacher encourages us to look at what others around us have written, inturn giving us ideas [generally what I like to do is see what they write and try to better it (do not copy them you'll learn nothing, if your adv english you wouldn't anyway but hey)].

That's all, sorry not too helpful but maybe something...

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Phoenix Fury said:
I'm rather bored with english as well.
I also pretend to do work in class and do it at home as I can write WAY more and WAY better
I'm the opposite. I work really hard at school and in the library. Then when I arrive home, I'm full of laziness.

bored of sc

HSC
Razizi said:
I'm the opposite. I work really hard at school and in the library. Then when I arrive home, I'm full of laziness.
I bet everyone wishes they could be like that :) lucky you!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
As long as your get your homework done - that's cool. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)