• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

advanced english syllabus? (1 Viewer)

ForbiddenND

HSC
just wondering does advanced english have shakespeare in it? i desperately dont want it in dere but it probably is? and does standard have it in dere?

thx :S

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
it is in both syllabuses

but if you do advanced you HAVE to study 1 shakespearen text
in standard its optional

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You almost definetly are going to do Shakespeare if you're doing Advanced English. Standard English might do it because the Standard English people in my grade had to do Macbeth.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes, Shakespeare is a requirement of the Advanced course methinks. That being said, you shouldn't be changing to Standard just because you don't like Shakespeare.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
well i kno for a fact where doing Shakespeare and studying Julius Caesar in terms of representations of power.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, it's compulsory to do one Shakespeare in one of the modules somewhere in the Advanced course. :)

ratcher0071

HSC
Aerath said:
Well, it's compulsory to do one Shakespeare in one of the modules somewhere in the Advanced course. :)
Yes, for me it was in module A. :)

For Yr 12, I don't know which module it's gonna be in. Hopefully not Module B (Critical Study of Texts). I do not want to critically study a Shakespeare play. :bomb:

HSC
N/A
i didnt know that we have to study shakespeare in advanced english

oh man i was celebrating the end of shakespeare after i did othello this year :mad:

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
well we can celebrate it soon now xD
I knew it was too good to be true after that was the first module we did LOLL

ratcher0071

HSC
barbecuedflava said:
i didnt know that we have to study shakespeare in advanced english

oh man i was celebrating the end of shakespeare after i did othello this year :mad:
I did Othello too.

Basically; Standard (possibly), Adv. English, English Ext 1 are the three subjects they can put Shakespeare in. Can't do it for Ext 2 (cause that's only a major work), probably ESL don't do Shakespeare (because of the "old English" language).

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
extn one? no wayy how would that work?

HSC
N/A
i dont understand what the fuss is all about with shakespeare. i mean, whats so great about him? is he really that good, a master of drama? seriously, who here actually likes his plays, and why?

ratcher0071

HSC
clintmyster said:
They don't do it in Ext 1. alright. I thought they would.

barbecuedflava said:
i dont understand what the fuss is all about with shakespeare. i mean, whats so great about him? is he really that good, a master of drama? seriously, who here actually likes his plays, and why?
So far, I liked Much Ado About Nothing. I guess it's just the way Shakespeare portrats human behaviour. Through Shakespeare's plays, one can understand how humans act around each other. Possibly, it is included in the syllabus, to teach kids like us, about the lessons of life.

Last edited:

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
yeahh like why dont we study Greek plays they've got so many different themes and theyre more interesting. Maybe were studying him because BOS feels we need to know something about past literature and since he has so many plays its quite easy to spread throughout the various years of high school?

HSC
N/A
clintmyster said:
yeahh like why dont we study Greek plays they've got so many different themes and theyre more interesting. Maybe were studying him because BOS feels we need to know something about past literature and since he has so many plays its quite easy to spread throughout the various years of high school?
damn thats a pretty good point. didnt realise that

still that doesnt make shakespeare any more interesting

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
kaz1 said:
You almost definetly are going to do Shakespeare if you're doing Advanced English. Standard English might do it because the Standard English people in my grade had to do Macbeth.
That's stupid IMO.
A lot of people drop to standard (well that I know of anyway) because they hate Shakespeare.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
clintmyster said:
I'm pretty sure they can put Shakespeare in Extension 1 English because in my school they did Romeo and Juliet.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Extension 1 Romeo and Juliet? We did that in Yr 10. And for Macbeth, we did that in Yr 9.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I don't think you should drop to standard just because you will be doing it in Advanced. If you have to load yourself with study guides on your shakespeare text and ask your teacher for assistance if you find it too difficult.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Aerath said:
Extension 1 Romeo and Juliet? We did that in Yr 10. And for Macbeth, we did that in Yr 9.
That is the same for us. Except we either did Taming of the Shrew or Romeo and Juliet in year 10. I did taming of the shrew.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)