Advanced English (1 Viewer)

Momentazeus

HSC
Hi everyone,
I am currently struggling in year 11 advanced English for essays. Does anyone have any tips on how I could make my arguments stronger. Also, does anyone know whether it is possible for me to improve my marks from getting below average to above especially at a good selective school within the 5 weeks before year 12 starts?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The strength of your argument relies on your ability to establish links to not only the issue/theme raised by the question, but also to the general themes/ideas/issues raised by the rubric/relevant module. This involves incorporating good techniques into your analysis (implying the need for a thorough knowledge of literary techniques) as well as relevant quotes from the appropriate prescribed texts that assist in emphasising and justifying your point(s).

Regarding your marks, I believe it is definitely possible for you to improve your marks from below average to above average, even if you attend a good selective school. As I mentioned above, this will require stronger arguments, which can only be made when you consolidate your knowledge and understanding of quotes and techniques (including their effect and where they would be useful within an analysis) as well as the link to be established between your arguments and the issues/themes raised by the question in addition to the relevant module. Regularly seeking feedback from your teacher on your written pieces can also be a great way of improving the overall quality of your essays, particularly if you are ensuring that you are constantly implementing any suggestions where appropriate. Whether you can reach your desired level within 5 weeks before year 12 starts will depend on how well you perform and get used to this process. Personally, I believe you can definitely achieve this goal.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)