advanced science (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
hi every1

uai cut off for advanced science at Usyd is 96.40 , why is the uai cut off at unsw only 88.5!

which uni is better to do this degree at?

at unsw do we have to do honours?

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
USYD is better I think, UNSW adv sci is just honours + science with nothing "special", and except that you can take some majors that you otherwise can't in normal science. For example you can take math and finance major without doing commerce which has much higher UAI.

USYD has all these special courses there for adv sci I think. So if you get the UAI go to USYD.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Hopefully by now UAI myths would have already been explained to you...

UAI cut offs do not reflect course quality

Higher UAI cut off does not mean "better"

UAIs are determined by demand, if one year nobody wanted to do medicine or law the UAIs would drop, and that doesn't mean the course is going to be any different, better or worse.

You should pick the uni depending on which one you want to go to, and which offers the content you'd like to study, not the one that has a higher UAI cut off.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
MAICHI said:
USYD is better I think, UNSW adv sci is just honours + science with nothing "special", and except that you can take some majors that you otherwise can't in normal science. For example you can take math and finance major without doing commerce which has much higher UAI.

USYD has all these special courses there for adv sci I think. So if you get the UAI go to USYD.
MAICHI, unsw has a unformal tsp aswell. Its called skipping 1X level courses. UNSW also has advanced subjects if that's what you're on about.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Yeah you can take higher subjects regardless whether you are in adv sci or not. But really adv sci at USYD seems like a more attractive option than at UNSW. Not because it has a higher UAI or such, but because generally they have more special subjects there to make you feel special. Just go read the USYD sub-forums, adv sci there really has a buzz there unlike here. I'm not being biased or anything, I do adv sci at UNSW. I think it's good for a math and finance major, since UNSW offers a project for financial engineering at the end where you get to research and write small thesis.

And I think more demand will generally indicate that a course is superior, most people are rational. So the higher UAI at USYD should be an indication of it's superiority or at least quality of students, of course unless someone can prove to me that there are more spots at UNSW for adv sci.

But in the end it's up to you, I chosed UNSW because it had a better plan for math and finance, you should do some research and find out about the plans of each degree, and then consider which one suit you best.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
MAICHI said:
And I think more demand will generally indicate that a course is superior, most people are rational. So the higher UAI at USYD should be an indication of it's superiority or at least quality of students, of course unless someone can prove to me that there are more spots at UNSW for adv sci.
err no.. as an Advanced Science yourself, you should be aware that UNSW Advanced Science program does not have a quota. It will accept anyone who has achieved a UAI of 90 or more. In some cases, students who just got below 90 (indicated by previous UAI cutoff) or with some sort of scheme/EAS/rural entry.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
clever angel said:
uai cut off for advanced science at Usyd is 96.40 , why is the uai cut off at unsw only 88.5!
Read my above post! :)

clever angel said:
Both Unis are great. It really doesn't matter which one you decide to do because you will come out highly regarded (depends on your marks). You future emplouyer is not going to say "oh wait! you go to USyd, I won't employ you because I preferred UNSW graduates" or vice versa. Rather, you would look at your:

- marks;
- whether you have done Honours or not (and class of Honours)
- work experience in the field of science

All the best for your decision. I advise you to come to the Open Days if you haven't already done so. Search the net for the program structurse for both courses. If you still can't decide between the two, see where you're more comfortable on campus. :)

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
err no.. as an Advanced Science yourself, you should be aware that UNSW Advanced Science program does not have a quota. It will accept anyone who has achieved a UAI of 90 or more. In some cases, students who just got below 90 (indicated by previous UAI cutoff) or with some sort of scheme/EAS/rural entry.
I remember hearing that somewhere, but why is it 88.5 last year? I wonder what this year would be, back to 90? It seems like a variable to me instead of a fixed 90 UAI.

alluring

HSC
hey guys..bachelor of science (adv maths) last year was 98.8 cutoff..i got 97.95..what do you reckon my chances of getting in are..lol.

sunny

meh.
HSC
If thats what you want to do, just put it as your first preference and hope for the best.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
alluring said:
hey guys..bachelor of science (adv maths) last year was 98.8 cutoff..i got 97.95..what do you reckon my chances of getting in are..lol.

dude, are you posting in every thread and asking the same thiing?

the chances are no. (unless you got like 99 for 4u maths and no one applies for it)

besides, advanced science majoring in adv math is the exact same bloody thing.

people aren't looking into degrees to find what they like, they're looking for degree titles they like -__________________________-

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Bob.J said:
people aren't looking into degrees to find what they like, they're looking for degree titles they like -__________________________-
I completely agree with you! That's how Uni lure you in with fancy names and this and that "special features". :D

e8b313

HSC
hi every1

at unsw do we have to do honours?
You should look at Advanced Science at Macquarie (UAI ~98). Small group, personalised teaching, research experience from first year and lost of options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)