Advice for doing 3 science courses. (1 Viewer)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Im planning to ditch english since I am pretty bad at writing an formal essay. Sounds like a attempted comedy show. Subjects that gain the better scale can boost my ATAR, true?
Oh I wouldn't consider that a good idea. Don't get me wrong when I say that english is a shit subject and that I'd much rather do some science or maths, but english is one of those subjects that can make or break your atar. 80-85+ in english is a safe mark range if you know you're gonna get 93+ for your other subjects.

ScxLore1216

HSC
Oh I wouldn't consider that a good idea. Don't get me wrong when I say that english is a shit subject and that I'd much rather do some science or maths, but english is one of those subjects that can make or break your atar. 80-85+ in english is a safe mark range if you know you're gonna get 93+ for your other subjects.
I'm doing standard english anyways, hopefully the syllabus is easy....

not_sure

HSC
Lots people from my school do investigating science, and some of them got really good ATARs. They all said they really loved it - it was learning how to be a good scientist with examples across all areas. However, they also said that if you do it you have to do quite well and get a band 6 for it to be an advantage to your ATAR. Not for me, but I'm pretty sure its a lot less content heavy and could be a good break 🤷‍♂️

BTW, you don't have to do ex1 maths for physics.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
You don't do calculus in physics so there's no "technical" need for adv+, in theory std is just fine but the main "challenge" of physics is really just understanding the "concepts" and doing the explain questions. You're much better off having a strong base in maths and doing physics so you can just focus on the concepts side of physics rather than having to deal with the "mathish" side which is just algebra and rearranging equations. There's some people in my class who struggle with maths and they have to memorise the suvat equations and their rearranged forms.

e.g v = u + at, t = v-u/a (bruh)

and that's just the type of stuff you don't want to be dealing with, with what is already a pretty hard subject irrespective of its maths. I believe in Std you don't really do trig until year 12 but in adv you do cover trig to the extent you'll need for physics which is handy since it pops up everywhere. No real direct overlap between the subjects but its definitely has some indirect benefits.

sab13562

HSC
Im planning to ditch english since I am pretty bad at writing an formal essay. Sounds like a attempted comedy show. Subjects that gain the better scale can boost my ATAR, true?
Do NOT ditch English. It makes up 24% of your ATAR, regardless of how the other subjects scale.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
You just have to try your best, its not like you have a choice. Even if its horrible and everyone thinks your bad, just keep on trying your best and you will see an improvement over time, you have to approach the subject differently however it is not impossible to do good at - just like any other subject. I do admit the thought of english doesn't get me exactly riled up but you just have to find something you like about it; perhaps watch the Shakespeare play as opposed to reading the play, I found it was more entertaining and helpful to watch the play version since it was designed... for theatrical purposes. Many of the elements you would read wouldn't have that same impact as you would see on stage, and you wouldn't feel that same "hamartia" as you would when you see the tragic hero die or something like that because Shakespeares mostly just depressing stories.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)