• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Advice needed (1 Viewer)

studybuddy101

HSC
Hey BoS, so i have the opportunity to work a casual job (likened to an internship) doing some basic/menial lab work in environmental science. However the main problems are :

1. I already have a job in retail that's significantly more convenient (1 minute drive vs 20 minute drive to new job)
2. The hours aren't as flexible as they are in my current job, could be an issue when i start uni

My main reasons for thinking about this new position include:

1. I plan to work in science in the future and this would be good experience (albeit i plan on moving into physics)
2. I absolutely hate my current job - at this point i'm wondering if satan is behind working conditions
3. I've been doing my current job for about 3 years now (since i was 15) and would really like a change

Hope i didn't post this too late, any advice would really be appreciated! :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Go for the new job :) it seems like a better and more useful path than your current one and your reasons for doing it outweigh the reasons for not doing it (imo)

Nah-i

HSC
^ Agreed, a 20 minute drive is nothing when you're getting valuable experience which would look great in your CV. Plus, you get to leave satan's butthole aka retail.

Can I ask how you came across the new job? I'm planning on taking Science at uni as well and I want to know where to look for these opportunities.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
The new job for sure, in the end part time/casual employment is only temporary until you gain full time work.

If you have the ability to do something linked to your future career this is very good, you could leverage off this experience and use it to highlight your interest in the field or already developed skills in the industry. This could possibly end up yielding you a better grad job in the end, not certain but it can help.

20 minutes isn't that far man, you're just accustomed to having work so close to you :p

studybuddy101

HSC
Can I ask how you came across the new job? I'm planning on taking Science at uni as well and I want to know where to look for these opportunities.
I was referred by a friend who knew i was looking into science, kind of lucky :L

thanks for the advice guys, i'm gonna go for it and hope for the best! Anything is better than retail...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)