Advice on accelerated subjects? (1 Viewer)

Should I continue with these acceleration programs?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

robjoker

HSC
N/A
I am in year 10 but currently involved in two accelerated programs.

One for maths and one for chemistry. This means that i will be participating in the HSC for 3 unit maths and 2 unit chemistry with the year 12s when i am in year 11. If i am not satisfied with the mark i get in year 11 i am eligible to retry to do it in year 12 again.

I have prelims coming up in the next week or so and was just wondering if anyone else has done programs similar to these. If so, could you please elaborate on whether the amount of workload is worth it because i have been having a few doubts. It would also be useful if you could give me some advice on how i could improve in these two subjects.

I am also concerned that if i do the HSC in year 11 and i do not retry in year 12 (because i am satisfied with my mark) and i choose a subject in university relating to either one of the accelerated programs i formerly participated in, would i have to study all the stuff that i might have forgotten from the HSC?

Thanks!

Deep Blue

HSC
I honestly wouldn't worry about the Prelim stuff if I was you. Just focus on getting your course done ahead on time so you can spend a good amount of your Prelim year studying past papers from chem and 3 unit. In doing that, I doubt that you will need to repeat in year 12, or would even want to, you'd be sick of it. As for forgetting stuff, don't worry about that, get the ATAR first. Also, because you are an accelerated student, you have the option in Year 12 to participate in University Pathways and possibly start on some of the uni coursework.

This is coming from a Maths accelerated student. I did the SC in 09, then last year I did HSC 2U. I actually finished the course in the first term and spent the rest of the year doing past papers and revising and I was pleased how I went, considering I was two year below the cohort. This year I'm doing 3U and 4U and next year I will only have to do 6 or 7 units.

The real advantage of the way you are doing it is that you have two years to complete both of the courses, just earlier. As I said before, don't worry about the Prelim assessment and ranks, they don't matter, and as you are accelerating I can't imagine you having much trouble anyway. Focus on getting the courses done, sit in on a few HSC classes if your timetable allows it, because really, thats what the end goal is. I can tell you, the workload is definitely worth the end result of having plenty of free time in your HSC year to do as well as you can. If things go as planned, you only need another 5 units; half the workload of everyone else. Just stay motivated.

Aindan

HSC
I support Deep's argument. Being an accelerated student myself having completed 2 and 3 unit maths last year, i have to say the benefits are AMAZING. You have less periods and less workload to complete your existing hsc subjects and this will quite easily translate into better marks.

Of course, don't worry that you may have to repeat in year 12, because I highly doubt it if you are willing to put in the time and effort into this opportunity. You have less hsc subjects to study for in yr 11 next year compared to the year above you and you can focus on thse subjects.

Also, another thing is confidence. Knowing that you have completed 5 units possibly for you and never having to worry about it for yr 12 is a huge confidence booster (especially if you have done well, and nonetheless if you are repeating you will have learnt the content previously). This will lead to less stress which really starts to build up.

As blue said, the workload really isn't too considerable.

Gigacube

HSC
I'm also an accelerated student but I do IPT. I do have a friend who is doing Chemistry accelerated & they say it is worth doing it accelerated because they have time to focus on that particular subject as the prelim workload isn't as much as the HSC one.

You have a big advantage to the year above you as you have the time to focus on those particular subjects whereas they have to study for English, Maths, etc.

For maths just practice with past papers. Don't panic too much about it yet & if you need help post in the maths forums.

If you choose a subject in Uni related to either of the subjects don't panic as you won't have to study everything again & I'm pretty sure that they'll go over what you've learned.

Being able to get 5 units out of the way with those subjects puts you in a great advantage in HSC year as you have more time to focus on English & your one or two other subjects.

I definitely agree with the above two posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)