advice on staying alert for a three hour exam? (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Hi, my school started trials last week and so far I've only had maximum two hour exams. but this coming week I'll be having a couple of three hour exams and was wondering how I can retain alertness and sharpness as well as concentration for three hours. I already found two hours difficult to bear and pretty difficult to maintain concentration and alertness levels so I know I'm gonna struggle with a 3 hours exams. any advice?

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Just keep motivating yourself by saying "I've worked 12 years to get to this point, i got to keep going, i can't make it all go to waste" My friend who did HSC last year said that it's much easier to concentrate in year 12 under exam condition cause you have that thought that this is it, my future life rides on this.
If you really find it hard, just take a break. Put your pen down, lean back and breath and just close your eyes, cause generally you lose concentration when you start to think of other things and there's too many things on your mind so allow yourself to clear your mind. Always works for me, especially when i get overwhelmed by a test. Do this for only a few minutes then get back to the test.
But i think the main concept to take away is to remember your goal and keep focused on it :)
Hope that helped

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
3hrs will go past quickly, i've had 3hr exams in year 11 and for one half yearly as well.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Sufficient sleep the night before your exams would be ideal.

In the exam room, don't think about anything else other than the task at hand (which is the exam paper in front of you). Try not to even think about any ideas like "my future life rides on this" (it's just unnecessary stress and pressure) or "I can't do bad or else...". Your goal is to complete the exam to the best of your ability. That's it.

Leave any thoughts about your goals or desired marks outside of the exam room (so before or after the exam).

Also, try not to panic over the time remaining (or on the opposite side, don't become complacent if you think you're working faster than usual).

Furthermore, if you've done some past papers under exam conditions, that could help you improve your focus and 'exam endurance' as well.

Aysce

HSC
For long exams, make sure you have a good night's sleep and that you have a low GI breakfast e.g. I usually eat toast, eggs, oats and a banana before major exams.

Also try to bring a bottle of ice cold water. For me personally, whenever I got fatigued I usually leaned back, took a few sips and rubbed my temples. It mostly helps me relax and refocus but this is just my personal experience.

Although, RoT raises a very good point about conditioning yourself physically and mentally for long exams through practicing papers under exam conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)