• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Advice on subjects. (2 Viewers)

H

Hussain1995

I have chosen the following subjects for year 11 and was asking if tutoring is worth it as money is becoming a problem ...
- Maths adv + X1
- adv English
- physics
- biology
- ancient
- SLR (just to have fun)
So would tutoring be recommended or just solid study if not keeping up (in terms of year 11 study).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, why do you need tutoring? If you can get good marks by yourself - why bother?

interesting

HSC
N/A
if you can't keep up or find stuff hard to understand get tutors for
- Maths adv + X1
- adv English
- physics

i don't think you really need tutors for the others because it's mainly memorising and theres no particular difficult concepts

Deep Blue

HSC
I have chosen the following subjects for year 11 and was asking if tutoring is worth it as money is becoming a problem ...
- Maths adv + X1
- adv English
- physics
- biology
- ancient
- SLR (just to have fun)
So would tutoring be recommended or just solid study if not keeping up (in terms of year 11 study).
I would advise against choosing SLR, because if you don't end up liking your other subjects or they are too difficult, it puts you in a bad position when you need to drop subjects and still get an ATAR. This happened to one of my friends that chose SLR.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What? You're saying he should drop subjects to give him more room to drop subjects the OP will end up not liking or being bad at?

Deep Blue

HSC
What? You're saying he should drop subjects to give him more room to drop subjects the OP will end up not liking or being bad at?
I am assuming that the OP hasn't commenced preliminary yet, and still has the option of changing his subject selections. My point was that assuming the OP does want to get an ATAR, and assuming they want to drop the subject SLR (as it is a non-atar subject) at the end of the year: what happens if it turns out that they absolutely hate ancient history, or physics or biology or the workload for one of those subjects is too much, or they can't work well with the teacher, but they can't drop the subject as they won't have enough units and are hence stuck doing a subject they don't want to do? I'm not saying it will happen, but it is a possibility to take into consideration when choosing subjects and when my it happened to my friend he was really annoyed.

Essentially, yes, it would give the OP more room to drop subjects they didn't like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)