• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Advice on working hours (1 Viewer)

leathaface

I'm going to be working at Lane Cove Coles (well... they haven't called me yet, but yea... the recruitment office said that they will transfer my application to Lane Cove coles), which is about 1hr's drive from my place, maybe a little bit more... but that's fine because I usually go to Chatswood on the weekends and Lane cove is nearby. I don't mind waking up early and travelling early... but I do want to balance rest time, social time, and study time.

I am currently studying at TAFE and my timetable goes something like this...
Monday: 9:30am to 4pm
Tuesday: 12pm to 3pm
Wednesdays: 1:30pm to 4:30pm
Thursdays: 9:30am to 4pm

I have two different timetable plans that I have in mind... I would like suggestions and comments on whether or not my timetable is hectic if you was in my position, or whether or not it's ok... keep in mind that I DO want to do extremely well at TAFE (Advertising Diploma)so I can get a transfer into Commerce or Psychology at Sydney Uni.

Fridays: 10am to 7pm
Saturdays: 9am to 7pm
Sundays: 9am to 3m

OR

Fridays: 10am to 7pm
Saturdays: 9am to 7pm

I want to also know that how much is the pay on weekdays for a 19 year old and also pay on weekends for a 19 year old as I turn 19 next month. If the pay is about 14 bux on the weekend then I might do timetable 2. I need ALOT of money, to save up for expenditure when I go overseas at the end of the year, and also to to buy my girlfriend's formal dress (she's been through some really rough times and her friends and myself are going to chip in to buy a formal dress and I want to pay for most of it... so I have to bust my ass off working), and also I need money to pay bills and shit.

My study timetable has been planned... I study every night until 12 to 2am. On thursdays I go Chatswood to see girlfriend and go study there as well.

So which is a good timetable? Or can you suggest a better timetable? I am avaliable for Friday, Saturday and Sundays but I don't really want to work on Sundays. (The Position is actually a Weekend, but I'm going to Negotiate with the company).

Lundy

Banned
HSC
You should want to work sundays! I'm 18 but my pay is $22 (up until 7am) and then $17 the rest of the day. mon-sat I get $12 as the normal wage, so I imagine you'd get about $14 mon-sat then significantly more on sundays. If I were you I'd do something like fri and sun or sat and sun.

Those are very long shifts you've got planned. If you're going to do the whole three days I'd keep the length of the shifts shorter.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Lundy said:
You should want to work sundays! I'm 18 but my pay is $22 (up until 7am) and then $17 the rest of the day. mon-sat I get $12 as the normal wage, so I imagine you'd get about $14 mon-sat then significantly more on sundays. If I were you I'd do something like fri and sun or sat and sun.

Those are very long shifts you've got planned. If you're going to do the whole three days I'd keep the length of the shifts shorter.
i like the fri/sun one better, because then you actually have a whole day to yourself to do your stuff, rather than having no weekend at all. also, you save the 2hrs extra you would spend driving on the sat.

even though as lundy said, the shifts are long, i don't think it would be too bad. you get used to it, people who work full time at shops in big shopping centres work from like 8 (to open shop at 9) until 6( having closed the shop at 5.30).

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah but how many of those people have tafe 4 days a week on top of that? Maybe some people just have endless supplies of energy. I'd be too buggered to be able to do any of my uni work.

leathaface

Energy? Hmmm... My problem is that i'm really tired recently and I'm suffering from short term memory now... serious, I just drove down the station to buy me a weekly ticket, then when I walked out of the station I decided to walk back home, forgot about the fact that I drove my car...

Nows that's WTF.

Hmmm... if it is really 22 dollars on Sundays then I might work on Sundays, but shorter shifts... like from 9am to 3pm like I said... then go and study at some nearby library.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
It's only a higher rate before 7am (and maybe after a certain time at night, I'm not sure. I only know this cos I work early hours in the bakery), your usual sunday rate would be like 18-19, thereabouts. Anyway I always prefer sunday because I earn $40 more on sundays than I do working the exact same shift on saturdays.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i'd say definately work sundays, either if you pick 2 or 3 days to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)