• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

advice please ?! (1 Viewer)

Lazy Lankan

HSC
So here's the thing - I'm currently doin' a Bachelor of Maths & Computing at UTS. The subjects I have to do (this semester) are:

1. Principles of Distributed Computing
2. Object Oriented Programming
3. Mathematics 1
4. Operations Research Modelling

I got a UAI of 84.05 (2004) and I only really decided on going to uni about half way through last year (I was actually gonna drop out in year 10 - but couldn't - coz of parents). So it's been 3 weeks of uni already - and I'm not sure if I made the right choice or not! I mean my strength is Maths (got band 6 in 2U/3U), but in the course I am doing, subjects 1 & 2 deal with computer programming - which I have absolutely no clue about - like I am completely lost!! :( Everyone I talk to says 'you only just started - give it time' ... but I am 100% sure that it is not the transition from HSC to UNI that I am struggling with! But the thing is I don't know what options I have - I know that there are many out there - but does anyone know where I can get information about this stuff?? Btw, I'm 'interested' in maybe doin a course at one of those private college places - u know the ones where its only like 1 or 2 years and u can do very specific courses ?? anyone got any advice?

Cheers

IceBreaker

HSC
what about deffering a year, take some time off and rethink your goals? people often do that and travel around the world.

Lazy Lankan

HSC
damn - tlak about a quick reply ! yeah I already thought of that - but I know what if I took a whole year off - I could NEVA get back into the whole 'study routine' ...

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
stick it out till the end of the semester and see what happens.... and while you're at it, talk to lots of people in doing other courses/degrees etc and see what you think...

don't give up now, you'll probly regret it later.....stick it out for a little longer and get your goals in focus

Lazy Lankan

HSC
yeah that's what alot of people have been saying 'to stick it out' - yeah even if I do decide on something else I would first finish the semester and c how my results are ... but the thing I realised is that I can't see myself doin computer programming as a career afta I leave uni!!!

and that's just the thing! who do I talk to??? I'm not much of a one-on-one talker, I'd rather research online first - and then talk to the appropriate people

about regretting it later ... what else can I do? sometimes u just have to make decisions and c where they take u - sometimes it will be a mistake - but atleast u learn from them !

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
The computing side of the course isn't all programming, so you might enjoy the later subjects. If not, you can always try and transfer into the BSc in Mathematics if thats really your thing. You might also want to consider the BMathsFinance degree, if as you say you like numbers, you might enjoy doing finance.

Lazy Lankan

HSC
I know that the computing side is not ALL programming - but atleast 75% of it is! and since programming is complicated (for me neway) - it's gonna be pretty hard to get a 'pass' mark.

Yeah, I was thinking about B Science in Mathematics coz it sounds alright ... but with the B Maths & Finance degree - I did some research and found out its like the accounting stuff from yr 12 business studies - which i h8 (balance sheets etc.).

I know that technically I can change my degree from B Maths and Computing to B Science in Maths before 31st of March ... but that's only like a bit ova a week away - and my parents just left the country this morning (they won't be back until May) - so I can't really decide to do something like that without consulting them at the very least u know?

So what I'm thinking is I can just finish this semster coz I already started it - and c how I go ... but I'm trying to find info. online about private institutions and I can't find much info. on the different courses they offer!

Another question - let's just say I decide to leave after the first semester, can I start a course at one of those private instiutions like straight away? or do I have to wait until the start of next year???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)