Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering? (1 Viewer)

f111c

HSC
G'day all

I am in year 9 right now.

I am doing 5.3 maths which is according to my maths teacher (40+ years teaching maths) that some concepts and question we are taught and asked are the equivalent of previous 2 unit maths year 12 work. I am currently getting 50-60% in my maths tests. Low yes but the new 5.3 is very hard.

I am extremely interested in Aviation its my hobby. I have wanted to become a fighter pilot for the raaf or fly for Qantas.

I get above yearly average in science.

I have been posting recently inquiring about Aeronautical Engineering on bos. People have been very helpful so thanks guys :)

Right now to get into ADFA for Aeronautical Engineering it is a required atar of 85. In my reach. I would then love to work in the RAAF and join through ADFA and do a full time four year course and my sub category would either be Avionics or a armament. I would stay in the RAAF for 6-9 years then leave and hopefully achieve a officer rank.

Then after I finished my time at the RAAF. I would hopefully go into Aeronautical Engineering for a defense contractor and design new JDAMs, heat streakers and anti ship missiles. Hopefully the leadership skills I would of learned at ADFA/RAAF would help me in the privator sector to get paid more eg.

or my either alternate is to do mechanical and work in the mining industry which is started to wind down.

What would you do?

Peace

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Set a goal for yourself to aim for, but also keep other options in mind. You are still quite young and I would say you have quite a lot of time to make up your mind. Keep your options open. Also, you might want to put a bit more focus on your studies to excel a bit more before getting into uni. Get into good study habits and the whatnot to get you in a good position to get you into what you want to do.

In saying that, if you really wanted to get into the defence force you should begin to build up your teamwork and leadership skills. Keep this in mind for your goal. Its not too big a problem if you don't get the opportunity to obtain these skills, however at one time or another during your term with the defence force you will have to develop these skills. Better to start early than late.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
G'day all

I am in year 9 right now.

I am doing 5.3 maths which is according to my maths teacher (40+ years teaching maths) that some concepts and question we are taught and asked are the equivalent of previous 2 unit maths year 12 work. I am currently getting 50-60% in my maths tests. Low yes but the new 5.3 is very hard.

I am extremely interested in Aviation its my hobby. I have wanted to become a fighter pilot for the raaf or fly for Qantas.

I get above yearly average in science.

I have been posting recently inquiring about Aeronautical Engineering on bos. People have been very helpful so thanks guys :)

Right now to get into ADFA for Aeronautical Engineering it is a required atar of 85. In my reach. I would then love to work in the RAAF and join through ADFA and do a full time four year course and my sub category would either be Avionics or a armament. I would stay in the RAAF for 6-9 years then leave and hopefully achieve a officer rank.

Then after I finished my time at the RAAF. I would hopefully go into Aeronautical Engineering for a defense contractor and design new JDAMs, heat streakers and anti ship missiles. Hopefully the leadership skills I would of learned at ADFA/RAAF would help me in the privator sector to get paid more eg.

or my either alternate is to do mechanical and work in the mining industry which is started to wind down.

What would you do?

Peace

Dw about that now ?

Do you have the ATAR to make the choice ?

Who knows maybe in Year 10,11,12 you would change your choice

Who knows ?

Just enjoy ur time in Highschool and no need to wonder about this now

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Woah, year 9. You defs need to slow down lol. My year 10 maths teacher said 5.3 was slightly easier than 2u and I personally found that to be true, maybe it was a placebo effect :/

avhead

no-hope fighter pilot l0l
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
HSC
Nice username, for starters. :) Glad I got to see the last public display at Williamtown.... one of the best experiences of my life.

If you're serious about ADFA as a pilot, forget about Aeronautical Engineering, really. They really encourage going into B.Tech(Aviation) or B.Sci(Aviation + something else). If you're gung ho about engineering then you can do B.Tech(Aero) but be aware that it doesn't qualify as an Engineering degree. I'm not too sure if you can do a fourth year via correspondence and make it as such, but yeah, really they want engineering students to become engineers (what a novel idea) in the ADF. BTW, don't look at the course ATAR as a minimum. The entire selection process is extremely competitive and the higher you get, the more you stand out. It's not the be all and end all but really you should be aiming for 90+. They want well rounded individuals, so playing team sport, volunteering of some sort (e.g. surf life saving), cadets, etc are all great activities that help you become an attractive, balanced candidate.

Your post is slightly confusing, in a way. First you say you wanted to become a pilot either for the ADF or QF, then you want to become an engineer, and then you're interested in working in the mining industry. It's fine to have a variety of plans and goals to aim for, but which ones rank first to last in terms of preference at this stage? Easier to give advice, that way. :)

Also, others might be saying slow down, but I was a bit like you. I was always thinking ahead about the exact pathway that I wanted to take to get to my dream career which I had always wanted since I could comprehend what a job was, and really, it only helped me to stay motivated and have direction. Guess what, it payed off. There's nothing wrong with going over everything now, I think it's cool to have ambitions! Just don't do your head in over it. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)