Age restrictions (1 Viewer)

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
I've heard that some uni's have restrictions on the age of a person wanting to get into med.

the uni's im refering to are newcastle (yet i read on their website that their youngest student is 15) and i think melbourne (the one with the med/surgery/arts degree).

Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, what other unis have age limitations?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
wow 15...thats young....
i dunno i heard from a friend of mine in first year that somebody was rejected cos she was 16....but you could verify by emailing the respective faculties directly

websites listed in the "read here first" thread

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
There would not be a published (or official) age restriction, because they are illegal under federal discrimination laws ("ageism" anyone?). However, it may have been that the interviewers felt this candidate was not old and experienced/mature enough for the course.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
What about the flipside - could they legally say that someone is too old to start med, ie the return on the investment of educating the person won't be sufficient due to fewer years in actual practice (especially given the length of time before you can enter the workforce)?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i dont know if it has anything to do with discrimination but at monash you can't transfer from another course or apply for undergraduate once you have finished another course- i.e. only recent school leavers may apply

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Wilson means "started another course", not finished (for Monash Med entry).

As for saying someone is too old to start med, that too would be considered discrimination based on age. However, if the selection committee felt that someone was too old they would have no trouble finding another reason to deny the application on grounds of unsuitability.

I doubt they would though. Newcastle are pretty cool.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ok with the age thing.. i remember reading it..
if ure too young there is a question about ure level of maturity to proceed with it.. since its such a long tedious process that some 17-19 yr olds arent even prepared to make

at 15 u could still complete another degree and do grad med.
they should/will counsel you about ure decision to proceed on if ure deemed to be of concern..

well im not sure wat uni thats from.. but generally if u can prove to them that ure not a wasted spot they will be ok ...

about the older students.... there is no issue..
i dunno i feel if they take a csp its got a question of economics... im talkin lik 55+ candidates.. since we dun realli hav enough medical places..

queenie

HSC
hey thanks guys,

i emailed the universities, and for the record:
UNSW doesn't care
but melbourne replied, but didn't state an answer... merly refered me to various pages on their internet site.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's standard practice at Melbourne. They've done exactly the same thing to me several times over many different matters.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Yeah I found UNSW are pretty good in terms of providing info to students...and thats not only in the medical faculty.

I can only imagine how much stress they endure, given my own stress due to repeating the same answers to the same questions in a small community like BoS...

heyhey!

HSC
N/A
i was surfing uni of melbourne's website and i came across this:

VCE Units 3 and 4 English

as a prereq for studin med there.

Does anyone know what this is equivalent to in NSW?

ie, is that ext english or just advanced...

if it is ext or higher, does that mean that pple doing advanced can't get in? *starts to panic*

inasero

Reborn
HSC
no i think its equivalent to advanced english dont panic

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
the girl that's 15 deferred a year.
I think there's a 16 year old currently in our year though...

queenie

HSC
Right then,

with regards to Monash -

You have to be over 17 to get into any course. BUT if your younger than that, ur UAI/ENTER has to be higher than 95 to get into any course.

Seems fair

queenie

HSC
yea thats what i thought. But uve gotta get over 95 to get into ANY COURSE if your younger than 17.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)