• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ahhh! Trouble with Psych units! Help (1 Viewer)

illodous

Angels...
HSC
I logged on to the uni website and when I was logging on to mynsw and gonna put in my psych units (cos I wanna do a psych major) in my BSc/BA but I have heard you have to do statistics if you do a 4 year psych degree but which math units do I do?! Some of them look really far out! :eek: And when I look at the Psych requirements on uNSW's site it doesn't say anything about maths...*so confused* So can anyone please help me and tell me which math units I am supposed to put in plz?!

Thx in advance!

HSC
N/A
Take a deep breath and go through all this again - not quite sure I understand.

STAT normally isn't a true "maths" subjects in the minds of many people (if it was, it'd probably be called MATHsomethingarather).

If a STAT subject is listed as a prerequisite for one of your core psych units (which would likely be the case) then you have to do STAT.

If a MATH subject happens to be a prerequisite for one of your prescribed PSYCH units or prerequisite STAT units, then yes you have to do that too. As to which one you pick, I'd go to the UNSW forum and ask around for reviews.

Often it's a good idea to go through your degree from third year to first year (yes, not the chronological way) so you can get a grip on all the prerequisite subjects you have to do. Some of them will be prescribed or "core" units (and these will be listed as such) however some of the prerequisites for these core units (and even the prerequisites for the prerequisites for these core units) will NOT be listed and you just have to go hunting to make sure you've got them all.

It's stupid, but it's the way the Uni system works. Enjoy :p

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
As soon as you do psych, you do stats, there is no 4-year limit. And I think you'll find that maths is *recommended* for stats in uni, but its not a prereq.

As for what maths you do at school, it doesnt matter because, back in my day anyway, there *was* no statistics done at school. Stats is totally different to maths, a competely different concept with different rules, and its much more Englishy (writing reports and whatnot).

And anyway, who says you need to do maths? I didnt do maths for the HSC, havent done it since year 10, but look at me, I'm in my third year of psych and have successfully credited all my stat subjects.

Its really not that big a deal. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)