Akhenaten background question. (1 Viewer)

ThreeOne

HSC
I have this memory of reading a passage about the possible influences Akhenaten had as a child that may have had a connection with his later actions but I can't quite recall it accurately. It spoke something about him working in a temple as a child and then leaving when he was older and becoming Pharaoh.

Can someone clarify this particular point for me, please?

X

xeuyrawp

ThreeOne said:
I have this memory of reading a passage about the possible influences Akhenaten had as a child that may have had a connection with his later actions but I can't quite recall it accurately. It spoke something about him working in a temple as a child and then leaving when he was older and becoming Pharaoh.

Can someone clarify this particular point for me, please?
Heya,

I also remember reading that when I did the HSC - I believe it was that he grew up at the Temple of Ra at Heliopolis (Ra's cult centre).

I'll find out the exact details - evidence and whatnot...

X

xeuyrawp

Ok, I found it.

I thought it sounded like something Aldred would say... He can sometimes get ahead of himself.

Basically, Princes were educated at the Cult Centre Temples.

There is no evidence to locate young Akhenaten at Memphis, Abydos, or Thebes (Ptah, Osiris, Amun, respectively), which are all well-preserved sites. Since Heliopolis is the only poorly-preserved main cult centre where Akhenaten could have grown up, it is the chosen site by Aldred! :p

Also, more reasonably, Aldred notes the obvious fact that the Aten was a similar theological figure as Ra, as well as the fact that a lot of Heliopolitan officials moved to Amarna and had their tombs made by Akhenaten.

Have a look at Akhenaten, by Aldred, and do an index search for 'Heliopolis'.

Personally, I don't think there's enough evidence any way, although Akhenaten being educated at Heliopolis is the best of all voids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)