Akhenatens relationship with the Aten (1 Viewer)

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
I have been trying to go over past papers, for Akhenaten and a question has me stumped. "What was akhenatens relationship with the Aten?" 10 marker.

My text book contains about 5 sentences on this, the internet isnt much better.

Does anyone have information on this question? Maybe you know a website or textbook that has a little more information than a few sentences?

X

xeuyrawp

I have been trying to go over past papers, for Akhenaten and a question has me stumped. "What was akhenatens relationship with the Aten?" 10 marker.

My text book contains about 5 sentences on this, the internet isnt much better.

Does anyone have information on this question? Maybe you know a website or textbook that has a little more information than a few sentences?
What have you got so far?

klowe

HSC
I guess the main thing would be that Akhenaten's relationship with the Aten was very exclusive. While worship could occur by the average member of society that worship was expected to be directed through the king. Official temples we directed at the sun and allowed as much light as possible to flow through them (aten being the cult of light) whereas local worship shrines depicted the royal family and were not focussed on the sun. This is reinforced in the hymn to the aten:

There is no other who knows you,
Only your son Neferkheprure, Sole-one of-Re.

i.e. Akhenaten exclusively alone could communicate with the Aten, nobody else had this capacity.

I'm assuming this is probably what the 5 lines you have discusses! Sorry if it is repetative of that.

Henna34

HSC
Well Akhenaten's father called himself the dazzling sun disc. You could always discuss the fact the Aten symbol is a sun and that possibly he was worshipping his father... obviously you will need to go more in depth and get more info, but thats all i can input in this

i hope it helps

Daikaio

HSC
I would mention a few things: Akhenaten as the sole mediator between the Egyptians & the Aten (Quote from the Hymn to the Aten: "There is no other who knows you") ), The change in kingship (i.e. Elevation of kingly status to a divine being rather than being the representative of the gods on earth), The Amarna Triad (Akhenaten, Nefertiti & the Aten), Representations of Akhenaten with the Aten in art (Tomb paintings, ostraca, stelae), Significance of the changes of Akhenaten's title (Amenhotep IV -> Akhenaten), Significance of the move to Akhetaten (i.e. Total focus on the Aten, moving away from traditional gods). There are probably a few other points but I would think those would be the most significant ones to incorporate. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)