Algebra Help (2 Viewers)

Beege

HSC
This is my weakest area in Maths and I really need to get good at it. This includes equations, linear relationships/graphs etc.

What is a good way to get good at this topic? Are there many sites/books I can use?

Dark Phoenix

HSC
just use the success one maths book which is divided into different topics. there are past papers from 1984 - 2005.

PC

HSC
N/A
I think with algebraic equations and expressions (AM1 & AM3) just do heaps and heaps and heaps of questions!

With linear graphs, it all comes back to y = mx + b. There's heaps of possible applications and questions on that. Look in all the chapter summaries in textbooks and revision books. This is AM2.

For non-linear graphs (AM4), there's a bit of memorising required, you'll need to learn all the different types of graphs. You'll probably do that next year, so make sure you pay attention in class! I reckon it's the hardest topic!

Good text books are Maths In Focus and New Century. I suppose Excel will have some good summaries.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
PC said:
With linear graphs, it all comes back to y = mx + b.
i've always done really well in maths, but even up to and during the HSC, i could never wrap my head around that whole concept... never.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
SiZmOs said:
i've always done really well in maths, but even up to and during the HSC, i could never wrap my head around that whole concept... never.
just to let u know that m is just the gradiet of a line and b is the y intercept

ive encountered questions where u had to put equations into that form so u could get the gradiet of the normal and all that

Beege

HSC
well the school gave me longman's access to general maths, is it the best book to learn algebra?

Dark Phoenix

HSC
im not sure myself coz i do 2 unit or should i say i use to do 2 unit. how complicated is it? is it just like 2x + 12 = 15?

Beege

HSC
mainly those harder algebra equations e.g

x+3 5t -4
___ = ______
3 6

yeh similar to that

Dark Phoenix

HSC
i used cambridge for maths 2 unit. i find it very good as well as success one. in the cambridge, it divides questions into 3 levels of difficulty and provides good explanations as well. try checking out dymocks if there are any camberidge general maths.

and when dealing with those algebra questions the basic rule is that whenever u multiply on one side, u have to do on the other same with the other side as well as with addition subtration and division. and also try to get everything on one side say if u were trying to find x or t

Agywaggy

HSC
Beege said:
well the school gave me longman's access to general maths, is it the best book to learn algebra?
Thats the one I'm using, well i will be using cause i am yet to start the year 12 course my school is soo behind, were still finishing the year 11 course and still have like 2 more topics to do.
And i couldn't say whether its the best book but you should really check out the study guides eg excel and success one, i'm using them as well as my textbook and there such a big help and having more resources helps to understand the concept unless they explain it differently from each other but majority of the time, there explainations are pretty much the same.

Good Luck!

goosiegoo

HSC
Practice is the best way to become better at algebra. If you understand the concept of algebra but just can't do it.. just keep on practising, i suppose. Good luck!

Beege

HSC
is the excel hsc general maths book any good, the good thing about it is it comes with study cards, well at least the ones ive seen

Dark Phoenix

HSC
Beege said:
is the excel hsc general maths book any good, the good thing about it is it comes with study cards, well at least the ones ive seen
excel is crap except for the summaries they have for each topic

Agywaggy

HSC
Beege said:
All the ones that i hve from excel have study cards and there pretty handy to have as well. But as someone pointed out above practice is still important and becuase you have a study guide that has cards doesn't mean you should just study from that, i find that, just doesn't do anything for me.
I find the excel ones pretty good but do try the other ones, they may explain things in a way you understand better.

Good Luck with it all!!

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
I'm really bad at algebra and maths in general

With a lot of i mean a lot times a 100 lol
You need to revise!

especially algebra because of zillions of formulas and ways to do a simple equation!

Get your teacher to help you and if your school has learning centres after school where you can gain access to resources in the library and teachers i would do that!

My teacher speant the whole period today going through algebra with me coz of my really bad result in this class test which luckily wasn't worth anything in my report!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)