• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Alleles and genes (1 Viewer)

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
can someone please distingusih between alle and gene for me all texts seem to go round in cicrles and not actually distinguish them.... e.g hsc online says :

An allele is an alternative for a particular inheritable characteristic, e.g. tall (T) and short (t) are two alleles for the characteristic of height in some plants. In humans, straight (S) and widow's peak (s) are two alleles for hairline. With the development of modern genetics, we now identify these factors as genes. A gene is a section of DNA coding for proteins that expresses itself as the phenotype of an organism. Alleles are alternative forms of a gene. In many sources you will find the terms allele and gene used to mean the same thing.

so really they don't know either..... help?

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
well...they kinda are..if u get the question in an exam, and you write that, i'd say you get full marks..its a stupid dot point imo..but i think thats the answer...anyone else verify?

danz90

HSC
From what I've learnt... an allele is the corresponding member of a gene pair on the homologous chromosome. Basically, all genes are made of of two gene pairs... a gene pair is an allele. For example, the genotype for heterozygous tallness (Tt), t is an allele of T.

I also reckon its a stupid dot point.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
[FONT='Cambria','serif'](2-v) Distinguish between the terms allele and gene using examples[/FONT]
An allele is a various form of the ones gene, such as T and t which are the alleles for pea plant height whilst a gene is a section of DNA which codes for proteins that are expressesd in the phenotype of an organism

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
yeap alextone got it its that simple it goes
a gene will code for a certain charateristic eg height
an allele is the various types of genes coding for height so u can get short tall or medium and many more different alleles however they are all covered as part of the gene coding for height

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)