• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Am I about to make a big mistake? (1 Viewer)

aud

HSC
I think my argument's changing again - but no longer branching off an old topic, but completely changing...

It's gone from
Exploring How The Media Influences Children With Stereotypical Notions of Witches Through Television and Literature
to
Exploring How a Composer's Purpose and Target Audience Is Reflected in Their Portrayal of Witches
to
Exploring Notions of Values Collectivism, Dualism, Theodicy and Moral Absolutism in the Portrayal of Witches

And it's about to turn into
Analysing and Exploring the Purpose of Mythological and Legendary Beings In Charmed < and anything else I think of >

*head hurts*

Is this a really big mistake? It's just that the other three have all lead to dead ends and left me confused... but now I think my texts would fall to just one lonely one - Charmed - unless anyone else can think of one for me :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by aud
unless anyone else can think of one for me :D
Buffy has witches as some of the main characters.

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Buffy has witches as some of the main characters.
Are you stalking me? It's like, everytime I turn around I see your name... not that I mind, but you don't do EE2, so... :confused:

Yea, I had Buffy as a text right at the beginning but dropped it... but now because I'm focussing on myths and legends, it's not really relevant at all... except the whole vampire thing...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I don't think you should look into a specific show - why not analyse and explore the purpose of myths and legends in contemporary literature? (Perhaps with an emphasis on the stark contrast between ancient fables appearing in modern texts, and why this occurs... do we develop 'new' myths and legends? Why not? Hmm... now I've intrigued myself. :p)

That should be sufficiently broad enough to allow you to cover whatever you wish.

mayhemily

HSC
well its all part of the natural development of the grande MW. Whatever you feel comfortable with mate, (but not too comfortable or you'll get lazy and you wont think had enough)

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
I don't think you should look into a specific show - why not analyse and explore the purpose of myths and legends in contemporary literature? (Perhaps with an emphasis on the stark contrast between ancient fables appearing in modern texts, and why this occurs... do we develop 'new' myths and legends? Why not? Hmm... now I've intrigued myself. :p)

That should be sufficiently broad enough to allow you to cover whatever you wish.
That's a good idea... it's just that I've had Charmed in my list since Day 1 - no other texts have changed according to my argument as well as it...

Besides, I honestly can't think of any myths or legends in contemp lit at the moment... maybe it's just because I'm tired though :p

I'd like something else to hold my argument together, rather than just one thing, but I can't think of anything...

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Remember that you don't have THAT many words to play around with - so keep your argument as concise as possible so that you can extrapolate on important facts

HSC
What about Harry Potter :D

I think there is a book which gives information about all the mythological creatures in Harry's world as well.

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
that wouldve been good for that "influencing children" one..but then again, it could be used in the one Lazarus suggested, and exploring this through a whole range of texts targeted at a range of audiences...ill ask my teacher some suggestions, she's teaching Withces in the prelim course this year

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Trigger189
that wouldve been good for that "influencing children" one..but then again, it could be used in the one Lazarus suggested, and exploring this through a whole range of texts targeted at a range of audiences...ill ask my teacher some suggestions, she's teaching Withces in the prelim course this year
I had Harry Potter in most of my arguments for a while... and yea, I was thinking about it for this one, but I don't really like the book and I think it'd show in my writing :D

So I was thinking Lord of the Rings... and all their species and races... yay or nay?

Oh, and hey, what do you mean that your teacher is teaching Witches this year... is she teaching Witches, or teaching a topic on Witches? If she's teaching Witches, I wanna be there...

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
sorry, ill rephrase that: shes teaching "Witches" in the prelim course this year. better?

Lord of the Rings would definately be good, considering the impact it has had..both when it was published and when the movies were released.

So you're boiling it down to myths and legends now, or still leaning towards witches? yay or nay?

aud

HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
no. Buffy mine. you leave Buffy alone.
:)
Don't worry, I won't touch Buffy :D

Originally posted by Trigger189
sorry, ill rephrase that: shes teaching "Witches" in the prelim course this year. better?

Lord of the Rings would definately be good, considering the impact it has had..both when it was published and when the movies were released.

So you're boiling it down to myths and legends now, or still leaning towards witches? yay or nay?
Ooh - can you elaborate a little more on what exactly she's teaching?

Lord of the Rings would be (well, I think) good to do simply because of its broadness in characters and races... there's not so many different ones~!

The thing is, when I first chose EE2 I was thinking either Greek/Roman mythology, or Witches... and it's always been related to Witches... but it's a lot harder than something like Christianity where everything is written in a Bible - us Witches have to read what other people write and make our own lifestyle up... so I guess I'm leaning more to mythology and legends...

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
she is teaching a course called 'Monsters' which relates to gothic fiction, and the first topic they are doing is witches. ill ask her about it se if i can find something that u might find useful

ur topic is really interesting. i love mythology and legends, and its so incredibly broad...so much cool stuff to cover...and witches fits nicely into that.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
haha great minds eh? I'm so glad i'm not doing a critical analysis. With poetry... I can write them all, pick a few THEN find a point to my collection :D create first, think later

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Originally posted by super katie
haha great minds eh? I'm so glad i'm not doing a critical analysis. With poetry... I can write them all, pick a few THEN find a point to my collection :D create first, think later
well i spose people approach poetry differently. my class mate has got everything planned - her purpose, types of poems, subjects, the links between them and whatever the hell else shes done and she hasnt even started to draft yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)