Ambigous ending to Blade Runner (1 Viewer)

noturningback

HSC
Hey there
Like many others, I'm writing practice essays to try and get a deeper understanding of the two prescribed texts. I have found plenty of information on both texts with the exception of the ending to Blade Runner.

I understand it is intended to be ambiguous however I'd like to know WHY the composer has intended such an open ending to the film (I understand that in other versions it was more clear cut).

So basically what I am asking is:
What is the significance of the ambiguous ending to the film?

btw it's not an assessment question (I wish haha), I'm just trying to get a better understanding so I can more effectively analyze.

Thanks in advance

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
IT CAUSES THE AUDIENCE TO REFLECT ON THE AMBIGUOUS NATURE OF OUR OWN CIVILIZATIONS FUTURE AND WHETHER IT WILL END UP GOING THE PATH OF THE CIVILIZATION IN BLADE RUNNER IMO.

lol

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Scott wants us to continue questioning, and thinking about, the film, and our world.

noturningback

HSC
Thanks for the informative responses.

So basically, the significance of the ambiguous conclusion to the film is that it leaves the viewer questioning the values and ethics of society and whether they will lead to the downfall of man and create a dystopia as portrayed in the film.

I think I've got it, any alternate views on the ending are appreciated.

noturningback

HSC
I have another question
however I don't want to create a new thread unless i have to
so I am double posting.

What are the values represented in Frankenstein?
I know it's extremely straightforward but i just can't think of anything
i hate these texts :burn:

red_goesfaster

HSC
hey dude.

i think the ambigous ending is due to the dialectic nature of the post modern era of the texts construction. there are several points in the film which leave it open for the viewer to decide, actually quite a vast majority of the film is like this.

and the VAB'S in frankenstein.. there are loads.. heaps that are reflective of the romantic context.. see if u can come up with a list of romantic period values and im sure a lot of them will be in it (if not all). also list shelley's personal concerns with society..

helpful??

noturningback

HSC
hey dude.

i think the ambigous ending is due to the dialectic nature of the post modern era of the texts construction. there are several points in the film which leave it open for the viewer to decide, actually quite a vast majority of the film is like this.

and the VAB'S in frankenstein.. there are loads.. heaps that are reflective of the romantic context.. see if u can come up with a list of romantic period values and im sure a lot of them will be in it (if not all). also list shelley's personal concerns with society..

helpful??
Yes, that was helpful, thankyou very much
Only thing is that I've since done the assessment task :)

Thanks for your help though, and to everyone that posted in this thread.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
the director's cut ending restores the credibility of the film lol

terminator69

HSC
What are the values represented in Frankenstein?
I know it's extremely straightforward but i just can't think of anything
i hate these texts
Romanticism and the dangers of what can happen through the optimistic and imaginative thinking of the romantic movement, aka creation of the monster. Frankenstein also pushes the boundaries of science by using electricity and galvanism. This brought forward debate and discovery, aided by the Industrial Revolution.

I think.. :uhoh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)