Amp discussion. (1 Viewer)

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmmm i think we should all discuss what amps we use to play our guitars or basses ... whatever... (basically to help me decide what new amp i should get :confused:)

im in the pickle of deciding whether i should spend the extra money on a phat tube, or just go with a non-tube modelling amp ... sigh ... i want a peavey classic 30/50 ... or a DSL401 ... but quite pricey :(

adsta

HSC
If you can afford it, get a tube amp. Solid state amps (non-tube) have come along way (some even have a tube in the power amp), but they still can't produce the same sound as a tube amp. Some people do prefer solidstates though, I guess it's just personal preference.

At home I play through a marshall vs100 head and a marshall quad, but at work I play through a mesa boogie 2:fifty power amp and a triaxis preamp. If I could afford the mesa boogie myself, then I would get one myself. It's a really nice setup, and the tone is awesome. But costing $8k, it's a bit out of my range at the moment.

If I were you I would go with the peavey classic 30 (or 50 if you can afford it). Pretty nice amp with a good reputation. But it all comes down to what you think sounds good.

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
Man, you can't ask anyone for advice on an amp without telling them what sort of music you play.

I play thought a 100w tranny fender, and it's served me well. Eventually I want to get a 30-50 watt tube amp (like an AC-30, or a small Music Man), purely for clean and overdriven signal, and keep my current amp for signal that has the fuck distorted out of it. That would be the the most versatile setup (also the most expensive)

You should also think about whether you want to use the amp for bedroom playing, or gigging or both, and think interms of the next 10 years or so too. Theres no sense in forking out for an amp, and then just having to upgrade it in a few years.

Generally too, i would stear clear of modelling amps, or amps with builtin effects, because
a) they have more parts that can fuck up
b) their tone will date terribly

Anyway, hope that helps some.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
what do people think of Marshall AVTs (tube preamp, solid state power amp)?

Waste of money for what they are or what?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)