An 06er confuddled abt THE MARKS (1 Viewer)

sh3zz

HSC
With all these 2005 marks posted, everyone seems to be doing SO VERY WELL.
My question is for "Assessment marks", most pplz got 90+/100, does it mean that their average assessment mark at skool was 90 something?

sh3zz

HSC
Because im getting nowhere near 90+ for my yr 12 assessments at skool... that mark range just seems so out of reach.

nwatts

HSC
No.

Assessment marks (the ones in front of 05 students at the moment) are derived from a class's HSC exam results with respect to assessment rank. School assessment marks are purely there to work out how far apart each rank is, and to be a safeguard for misadventure applicants. 50% of your mark comes from a scaled version of YOUR exam result, 50% of your mark comes from your CLASS's exam results with respect to ranks.

In other words, all marks come from the HSC exams. Which means school assessment and HSC assessment marks have precious little to do with eachother.

reprise

The marks people are reporting today are their moderated assessment marks, not the raw assessment marks which their school sent to the BoS.

If you're ranked first in your course and your school performs well in the exam, it's possible to end up with a moderated assessment mark of 90+ even if your raw assessment mark was considerably lower. You always retain your own exam result, though, so don't rely on scaling too much.

sh3zz

HSC
hi nwatts, thanx for your explaination
how did u go?

HSC
N/A
-edited out, I'm a stuupidhead and didn't read properly!-

In regards to the original poster, the "assessment" (aka Internal) mark is scaled. Difference between "School" mark and the "assessment" mark can be as much as 20+/100 depending on how harshly or easy your school marks.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
sh3zz said:
hi nwatts, thanx for your explaination
how did u go?
Very mixed results. Some i'm very pleased with, others i'm very disappointed with. Tomorrow will tell.

Lynn: read the stickies, read BOS notes. My version is one paragraph. BOS has written a collection of novellas on the topic.

MarsBarz

HSC
It's all about the ranks. As long as you have a good rank it doesn't matter if you get 40% at school. It's all relative.

reprise

glitterfairy said:
^ Err what?

I thought half came from MY (as an individual who went to my high school) intenral mark - assessments and so on, and the other half came from MY (again, as individual) HSC exam (external) mark.

You guys only got the assessment - and not the aligned HSC mark - today?

In regards to the original poster, the "assessment" (aka Internal) mark is scaled. Difference between "School" mark and the "assessment" mark can be as much as 20+/100 depending on how harshly or easy your school marks.
Your RANKING within the course stays the same, your "assessment mark" is adjusted according to the exam results of the whole group within you school which did the same course.

If you were ranked first in the course and the highest exam result in the course was 90, you would receive that 90 as your moderated assessment result. It would then be added to your actual exam result and your HSC result would be the average of the two.

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Very mixed results. Some i'm very pleased with, others i'm very disappointed with. Tomorrow will tell.

Lynn: read the stickies, read BOS notes. My version is one paragraph. BOS has written a collection of novellas on the topic.
^ Hence the "I'm stupid" edit, which I wrote before reading your reply. :)

I'm human, and have off-days where it just doesn't click in my head, so here's a second apology for not reading correctly and jumping to conclusions :)

reprise

I honestly think that most schools do a shocking job of explaining the scaling/moderating process to students.

nwatts

HSC
reprise said:
I honestly think that most schools do a shocking job of explaining the scaling/moderating process to students.
I agree. I had to explain it to our year because none of our teachers knew exactly what was going on. I think it should be changed, though, to the VCE-style assessment marks that are actual assessment marks. I don't think it's fair to base all marks around one exam.

reprise

nwatts said:
I agree. I had to explain it to our year because none of our teachers knew exactly what was going on. I think it should be changed, though, to the VCE-style assessment marks that are actual assessment marks. I don't think it's fair to base all marks around one exam.
Heh. When I went to school (in Victoria), literally only the HSC exam results counted. You could not attend school all year, not do any course work, and if you sat and passed the exam that was your total mark.

nwatts

HSC
From what I read, and have been told, it's a 50/50 senario similar to us. However your internal assessment marks become external assessment marks, while ours are derived from exam performance. Perhaps it's changed recently, and i'm out of date. When did you do your VCE?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Currently, the VCE is extremely close to the HSC. The majority of procedures are almost identical. Though a lot of wording used is different.

reprise

nwatts said:
From what I read, and have been told, it's a 50/50 senario similar to us. However your internal assessment marks become external assessment marks, while ours are derived from exam performance. Perhaps it's changed recently, and i'm out of date. When did you do your VCE?
Over 25 years ago. That's why everyone thought it was such a great thing when the HSC exams were no longer the be all and end all - it gave kids who were consistent workers but not great at exams a chance to do well.

How do they work making their internal marks external? Are all assessment tasks marked externally (wouldn't work here, as many are in class assessments)? Are the assessment tasks themselves externally set?

nwatts

HSC
reprise said:
Over 25 years ago. That's why everyone thought it was such a great thing when the HSC exams were no longer the be all and end all - it gave kids who were consistent workers but not great at exams a chance to do well.

How do they work making their internal marks external? Are all assessment tasks marked externally (wouldn't work here, as many are in class assessments)? Are the assessment tasks themselves externally set?
I am not entirely sure. I'll read up on it, as I've just talked to a few friends who did their VCE three years ago now. It was more a case of the school submitting a scaled internal assessment mark, at the end of the year, that was then moderated around external exam performance. Rather than the HSC, where the mark is derived from external exam performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)