• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

An example of 1st year engineering maths (attached) (1 Viewer)

dorkman

HSC
This is just an example of some of the maths involved in engineering. The lecture attached is a first year UWS lecture from week four of semester two regarding 'High order linear differential equations'. I'm pretty sure the maths content of first year engineering degrees is the same across most universities, with the exception of maby UTS, where the maths is apparently less intense, at least in the first year. I've had mates transfer there from UNSW and they've confirmed this, but that's just their opinion so dont flame me :p . The reason for this post? Just to give people considering Engineering as a career prospect an idea of some of the maths involved in the degree, because I've seen many questions regarding the sort of maths people will be faced with in an engineering degree. At UWS the first semester involves 4 unit or there abouts calculus (they go through the 2unit material and 3 unit material beforehand), complex numbers, matrix algebra, statistics etc. Second semester maths involves ODE's which are applied to modelling real world situations, laplace transforms and multivariable calculus. First semester is fine, whilst the second semester is alot more challenging. Anyway I hope this gives people abit of insight, cheers. :bomb:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Bumcrack :mad1:

Do they teach similar things in yr 12 adv math cause then I'm glad i dropped lol. I don't remember doing anything like this in year 11 adv math...

Last edited:

dorkman

HSC
Nope theres no yr 12 content in second semester. Of course you need to remember the calculus you did in highschool and first semester, but apart from that it's new content using techniques you learn in semester one, and purely new content you learn in semester two.

HSC
you will need to call on your calculus skills you picked up in year 11 and 12 for 2/3 unit to be able to do this topic.

dorkman

HSC
How's the maths down at UOW? does it follow a pretty similar regime?

HSC
yeah more or less, but in a different order

first session was matrices, polar coordinates, differentiation, integration and vectors

second session so far has been complex numbers, partial differentiation, DE's, sequences and series and i think we are doing/just started different applications of integration and taylor series

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I don't think I do that (laplace transformations and the harder stuff) until next year.

I'm not actually sure I do it at all because I stop with the MATHXXXX subjects after this semester and do "Maths for Chemical Engineers" next sem.

Any ChE's know what's the go?

Last edited:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Musk said:
thus y ur degree is still in the 70s
Well only NSW and Sydney offer in the metro area so I don't have much choice.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Musk said:
oh are you doing chemical now? what happen to civil?
Um, I gave it the flick cause I didn't really like statics/geology and I wanted to originally study CheE to begin with.

Quite like chemistry too.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
It was engineering geology. I assume it's pretty standard for all unis. Learn about the basics of rocks, ect.

But yeah, wasn't for me.

dorkman

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
That stuff isn't even difficult, it just looks like it is for high school students because it doesn't mean much to them :D
Yeh its not easy either, well at least not for myself. You're doing a bachelor of science in maths at uni, so I'm sure its a piece of piss to you. And you're second year.

imprsiv

HSC
hey Dorkman.. how u finding engineering at UWS penrith, tell me anything u like/dislike thanks :)

dorkman

HSC
imprsiv said:
hey Dorkman.. how u finding engineering at UWS penrith, tell me anything u like/dislike thanks :)
Hi mate.. Engineering at UWS is good, despite alot of people's snide remarks and opinions towards the uni. The student body isn't comprised of mostly foreign exchange students like engineering degrees at some other unis and everyone's friendly. Most of the lecturers are friendly etc. The only gripe I have about the course is that they make you do statics whether or not you are doing civil engineering. Content wise, it is basically the same as say a first year common engineering degree at UNSW or SYD, whereby you do the 2 * maths, physics, electronics, statics and two designish courses in the first year, then choose the stream that you want to major in for the second year. The only gripe I have about the uni is its distance from me, hence my question to musk about transfering to uts. It is 1.5 hours by train. :bomb:Feel free to ask any more questions.

T

Testpilot

dorkman said:
Hi mate.. Engineering at UWS is good, despite alot of people's snide remarks and opinions towards the uni. The student body isn't comprised of mostly foreign exchange students like engineering degrees at some other unis and everyone's friendly. Most of the lecturers are friendly etc. The only gripe I have about the course is that they make you do statics whether or not you are doing civil engineering. Content wise, it is basically the same as say a first year common engineering degree at UNSW or SYD, whereby you do the 2 * maths, physics, electronics, statics and two designish courses in the first year, then choose the stream that you want to major in for the second year. The only gripe I have about the uni is its distance from me, hence my question to musk about transfering to uts. It is 1.5 hours by train. :bomb:Feel free to ask any more questions.
We do statics and dynamics combined in one session. I think every first year course has statics. Its just part of Engineering.

HSC
Testpilot said:
We do statics and dynamics combined in one session. I think every first year course has statics. Its just part of Engineering.
the ecte stream doesn't. unless its incorportated into the physics subjects.

T

Testpilot

ECTE is radically different though. I was refering to CME and MMM. ECTE doesn't fall under these 6 streams.

EDIT: There's a watered down mechanics section in PHYS141 but i don't think ECTE does that.

dorkman

HSC
Testpilot said:
Yeh, you're most probally right. I guess our course substitutes electronics for dynamics so we get a taste of electrical fields and civil fields.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)