• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Analysis Question: MATH2962 or MATH3068 (1 Viewer)

600monkeys

HSC
Hi,

I'm about to to go into my 3rd year at usyd, majoring in mathematics. I'm not a crazy smart guy but I do love just "doing math" and am looking forward to taking a mix of pure and applied units.

Anyway, I had planned to take MATH3068 Analysis in semester 2, because you can't seriously do a math degree without analysis, can you? Just today I started thinking about MATH2962, which I may take instead, even though it's a 2nd year unit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are 2962 and 3068 more or less the same?

jet

Banned
HSC
Pretty much

From reading the outline, 3068 seems to go into a little less depth/a faster pace compared to 2962, as it covers slightly different material - one third of the course is on Fourier Series, which aren't covered in 3068. It also seems like there is much more of a focus on calculus, whereas in 2962 we covered more results leading up to calculus and left the calculus for the calculus courses.

Note that 2962 is a prohibition for 3068, meaning that you can't take both courses. This usually means they have a majority overlap in content.

Last edited:

600monkeys

HSC
Thanks jet, in that case I'll probably take the one that gives me the nicest timetable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)