ancient history is destroying my brain (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i've been trying to study for this wretched subject all week and nothing seems to be sinking in. i feel like it's all in one ear and out the other. does any one have ANY tips (as obvious as they may seem to you) of how i can remember the annoying little details which are so important for a good mark? i've tried flashcards and they're sort of working but not really... argghhh *drowns in sea of shitty textbooks*

p.s hiii gregor if you see this, my msn is dead and i've been needing your smarty-pants advice all week.

kimmy5

to me, ancient is ONE boring story.
just know the ABSOLUTE basics.
you've just gotta deduce what u can from the info and back it up with evidence.
for evidence, i say just get lots of quotes from modern historians and stuff... mention a name and you'll get marks.

just DON"T BULL*&^ too much

tash

lalalala
HSC
ancient is bloody insane there's too much to learn! it's like a neverending pile of books and paper with meaningless sentences written all over them. i agree if someone has a brilliant way of somehow to effectivley shove this information into my brain that would be excelent

Wiggum

Take it in small intervals, eg take one topic, eg women, learn that, then don't touch ancient for a few hours or till the next day and continue on like that. I've done that before and it's worked.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
umm, i have anything i can't remember stuck up on my walls, so when i'm bored i read them...its kinda kooky but it works. Umm other than that i just write heaps of practice essays. Slowly that stuff sinks in!!! Sources i remeber by learning them bit by bit, you know read a line, seee if i can quote with my eyes closed, then see if i can remeber it 2 hours later...that works fo me!!

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
It's really strange but I find I remember the content for Ancient really well. Basically, like for the historical periods for example, I look at it like one long story (isn't that essentially what Ancient History is, anyway?)
I learn the story then I insert all the smaller details about each "chapter"

The part I do find annoying is remembering the sources though. Those are a bitch to learn.

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Originally posted by Lundy
It's really strange but I find I remember the content for Ancient really well. Basically, like for the historical periods for example, I look at it like one long story (isn't that essentially what Ancient History is, anyway?)
I learn the story then I insert all the smaller details about each "chapter"

The part I do find annoying is remembering the sources though. Those are a bitch to learn.
Thats the problem i have as well. I can remember all the events and causes all from the top of my head, without needing to study. The problem that i have is memorising a decent amount of quotes.

Left-ism

HSC
theres a lot of material to learn....
wat pisses me off is the shit scaling- not fair for the work u gota do!

Wiggum

If you look at the scaling that the IT, IPT, software people get and the percentage of people who get band 6 + (< 1% statewide), we shouldn't be complaining.

Originally posted by Harimau
Thats the problem i have as well. I can remember all the events and causes all from the top of my head, without needing to study. The problem that i have is memorising a decent amount of quotes.
It's definately a problem, and with the essays, you can't put all the sources you know, it has to be relevant. Try and find the shortest written evidence, and remember the archaeological off the top of your head.

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Hehe I have the exact same problem... I find that with the quote sources paraphrasing (is that spelt right?) works well. Just try and remember the historian's point of view and work that in if you can't remember the whole quote.

Otherwise I am in the same boat so I can't really offer constructive advice other than ancient sucks!

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I do ipt, sdd and ancient...so basically all my courses are shit scaling. yay for me :rolleyes:
It doesnt make it any easier since my sister managed 90+ in ancient, so the bar has been set pretty darn high for me...*bitter*

the way i've been revising quotes is for each topic (personality, period, etc), i write out a page (or two) of relevent quotes/sources...i dont think i could remember any more than that, so there's not much point in trying to memorise pages and pages of source material. Just the general ones that can basically fit into any question and a few specific ones

Last edited:

apollo

Originally posted by Left-ism
theres a lot of material to learn....
wat pisses me off is the shit scaling- not fair for the work u gota do!
fuckin word

according to uaiseeker, get 85% in the HSC, and it scales to 69 for UAI purposes. if you're after like 99+, that means you can afford to lose about 15 marks (scaled) across all of your other exams!!!!

ancient sucks.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by apollo
fuckin word

according to uaiseeker, get 85% in the HSC, and it scales to 69 for UAI purposes. if you're after like 99+, that means you can afford to lose about 15 marks (scaled) across all of your other exams!!!!

ancient sucks.
i noticed that, and i was really hoping to get something around 85.... but how fucking bad is that scaling? it feels like it's not even worth trying

i've been using flashcards with little bits of info on all my dot points people... and getting my mum to quiz me.. it's SORT of working.. blah.

apollo

well, i got 24/25, 23/25, 22/25 and 19/25 for my trial... 19/25 was stupid boring sparta, so i'm studying it lots to make sure i do better in the hsc :)

ive got all the info sorted, now its just a matter of memorising loads of quotes ;\

we should get a quote resource going here

krissy7685

I thought that if u do well in ancient its scaled well
honestly i feel ancient is harder than biology, maths and any other stupid subjects im doing

apollo

^^ that is the case with all subjects.

get 94% in ancient and they'll scale it to 87 for UAI purposes.

get 96% and they scale ya to 91 for the UAI!

get 99% and they scale it to 97%.

get 100%, and they should leave it at that...

(dont kill me laz!)

buy the UAI seeker for more details on scaling marks n shizzle people!

it's a total bitch, imho. ancient is one helluva lot of work.

krissy7685

that is ONE screwed up system... i hate the whole way they do the UAI it seriously brings u down in everything u do

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I thought it depended on the performance of the people who did that specific subject. My teacher told me that our school normally does extremely well in ancient and thus our marks get scaled up very high (above the 90s) beacuse they are compared with the rest of the state who may haven't done as well... get what I mean?
But don't worry krissy if everyone gets scaled down then its the same mark overall anyway.

apollo

^^ not quite the case... scaling is complicated as all fuck, but as i understand it, it is based on the performance of the entire state... not your school.

few subjects scale up. and the ones that do only scale up when you're approaching the top few percentiles.

85 in subject X might scale to 69
85 in subject Y might scale to 75
98 in subject X might scale to 99
98 in subject Y might scale to 100

this happens regardless of how your school performed. it is done for the UAC.

i think what your teacher is refering to is the advantage a good performance from everyone in the year in a particular subject provides.

if you all get over 90 in the exam, then all of your moderated assessment marks will all be over 90 as well (not moderated by comparison. not another word for scaling. read up on how the moderation process works in the other forums), so your final hsc marks will be over 90 (average of moderated assessment and exam mark). that's the benefits of a decent school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)