Ancient History - Require Urgent Help! =( (1 Viewer)

pink-hickup

HSC
I have my prelims for Ancient History in two days and am completely freaking out! I was away for 2 of the 4 topics in our test and am having trouble finding anything about Ethical Issues (we have to talk about ethical issues in discovering ancient sites and bodies such as Schliemman with Troy and Otzi the Iceman).

I was hoping that someone out there can help me and has some sort of notes on the Ethical Issues and would kindly share them with me =(

Please help me asap!!

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Hey there!
I didnt do Troy though I did Otzi the Ice Man at the beggining of the year.
I dont quite remember though i think one ethical issue would have to be how the archaeologist just left the body 'there' when researching without it being preverved or anything and so that may have allowed bacteria to eat and destroy parts of the remains.
Its just from what im remembering :p correct me if im wrong! lol

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Iceman:
- Body allowed to decompose/ go mouldy
- Ownership: What country was the body found in? There was a border disputr between Italy and Austria, but Italy technically owned the body because it was found just 200 m into the italian border. The problem there was that the body was being held in Austria. Look it up for more detail.

Schliemman:
-There are pictures of his wife wearing the jewellery. Not cool.

Also look up the Elgin Marbles. It's a really in depth one.

Here's some of my notes from last year.

Iceman:
Ownership
 There was a dispute over which side of the border the body belonged to. At first they thought it was Austria’s, so the body was taken to Austria for analysis.
 It was later found that they had missed a border marker: it was really property of Italy, but the body was being kept in Austria.

Moral Issues
 Disturbing the site
 Unproffessional (disrespectful) recovery
 Various funguses allowed to grow on the body before it got suitable storage: Preservation.
 Should it be on display???

The Elgin Marbles

Background
 They were the marble sculptures that were in the Parthenon.
 Lord Elgin, the governor of Turkey at the time, used his influence to have them removed ‘for protection’. The removal process involved taking many sculptures that formed major supporting parts which were holding up the roof, so the Parthenon was destroyed in the process.

Ownership Issues
 They belong to Greece, and were technically stolen, as Elgin never legally had permission to take them.
 They are in the British museum, but they belong too Greece.
 In the British museum they are well preserved and they would not be in the current polluted state of Greece’s atmosphere.
 Greece wants them back to reconstruct the Parthenon, but will have to deal with the preservation issues before they get them back.

Other Issues
 Societies did NOT exist in isolation: If left in the Museum they will be there to compare to other artefacts of the same period, so people can see how ancient societies were influenced by each other.
 WHO OWNS THE PAST???
o This is shifting from private ownership to public access.

Last edited:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Basically Schliemman went and destroyed like half the evidence that was at.... Troy VII I think. (God damn it i haven't done this topic in forever, I'm just making this up) he didn't have a proper archaeological team with him and as a result fucked the whole thing up. Then he claimed to have found a bunch of jewels and shit which we know now couldn't have even been FROM the Troy period but he claimed as much then so now there's controversy over whether he possibly planted them there just to make it seem like he had discovered something that was actually of interest. His 'diary' is really random and questionable and I don't know, wiki the thing cause I don't remember shit about this topic anymore.

I did the Iceman in Year 7, I don't remember a thing about it.

zy

HSC
for 'Studies of Ancient Societies IV: Thera/Santorini', does anyone know "What is meant by Akrotiri?"

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
zy said:
for 'Studies of Ancient Societies IV: Thera/Santorini', does anyone know "What is meant by Akrotiri?"
Hey I just finished that topic! :)
Akrotiri is a site located in Thera.

pink-hickup

HSC
Hey everyone,

Had the Ancient History test today and it was quite easy! Especially thanks to the notes DownInFlames gave me! Altogether i wrote 13 pages, i was very proud of myself!
So thanks to everyone that helped me by lending me there notes! I couldn't have done it otherwise!

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
pink-hickup said:
Hey everyone,

Had the Ancient History test today and it was quite easy! Especially thanks to the notes DownInFlames gave me! Altogether i wrote 13 pages, i was very proud of myself!
So thanks to everyone that helped me by lending me there notes! I couldn't have done it otherwise!
Nice work!

Manda.found

HSC
just wondering
does anyone know any scholars that i could use for differeing historical perspectives for the presevation of human remains??

manoo

:.:.:Charmed Member:.:.:
HSC
hey i was wondering could u help me i have ancient history prelims and its on akrotiri, thera, atlantis, crete, and so on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)