ancient history tutor needed desperately (1 Viewer)

rowie

hey.. im doing really badly in this subject because ive got so much infomation and i dont know what i need and what i dont.. my teacher is crazy she just prints and photocopies any thing that will fit in the machine and when you ask for help she just tells you to read over your notes.. and i need to lift my marks and knowledge.. so if anyone is willing to tutor me... i live in the newcastle/portstephens area but even thru msn or something... im willing to pay for help.. post a reply here or email me hotpinkfish@hotmail.com... thankyou so much

DeepDarkRose

HSC
I'm not offering to tutor you, cause i'm doing ancient this year myself, so not exactly qualified, not going too bad in it though, what topics are you doing?
i have a teacher exactly like yours, the only real advice i can offer is what i did, i'm assuming that a lot of your sheets are about the same topic, just from different books, so i just picked one and summarised that, the i just skimmed all the other ones, writing down notes that didn't exist on the sheets i had already summarised.
Since ancient is a lot about analysing people's actions, if you think of anything yourself about the topic, your own interpretation or whatever, take another coloured pen and write it right after what you have just written cause chances are you probably won't remember it later. If you see any disrepancies between all the info on the sheets, take note of it, obviously it's something historians disagree on, or it's only an estimation that was made. Once again, write this in another colour right next to it, use arrows if you need, or page numbers in your exercise book. Later when you have to form an argument, it will be easier to see all different sides of historical opinion if you interconnect it all as you go.
Using a colour coding system for your notes is useful too. For example, if I ever find a source while i summarise, i highlight it in pink, so that later i can find it quickly just by glancing at the page. Make note of where you get your notes from, and especially who the historian is that wrote them, put their name at the top of the page along with a title on every page, even if its not a new topic, eg. you might have several pages with the title *Amenhotep III* so that watever page you look at, you know exactly where it came from and what it is about. It speeds up studying and looking for information. It is also easy to find the information again later if you want to know more details than your notes. USE LOTS OF COLOUR, it may look childish but IT HELPS!!! eg. i use orange for notes from sheets, green for notes from books, yellow for very important points, and as i said, pink for sources.
Okay that was a long ramble, well this is a system i devised, and it really helped me, so see how you go, use watever suits you, just revise a lot, and know different opinions on the topic, those are the most important parts.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Newcastle/Port Stephens area hey? What school do you go to? (don't answer if its too personal or if your scare weird random stalkers will appear looking for someone called "rowie")

Well what subjects are you doing? If you're worried you have too much info i can alway look over your note and tell you what's irrelevant. However i might not be able to tutor you well coz i'm doing ancient this year too. I'm in the same position as you, but i'm always willing to "bounce" stuff. That's how we learn right?

The subjects i am doing are:
- Minoan society
- Fall of the Roman Republic 78-28BC
- NK Egypt to the Death of Thut IV
- Hatshepsut

You can contact me on msn: mog_say_kupu@hotmail.com
or via email: tina_goes_doo@hotmail.com

trekkie

HSC
hey, if your in the Newcastle Port Stephens area id be willing to help you, Im up near Nelson Bay and go to Irrawang High School, im studying Aug and the Julio Claudians, Roman society from Aug-Tit, Spartan society to Leuctra and Cleopatra, currently coming first in the year, PM if you want help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)