• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ancient history uni courses? (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
hey there, ive been considering going for a uni course in ancient history after the hsc but have been having a bit of trouble in finding a uni that has that course! anyone know which uni's in sydney actually do this?

also, my parents have been pretty discouraging about this as they have pretty high expectations of me and say thers shit all career opportunities in ancient hist. I love it to bits and will probly do the course anyway but does anyone no of possible careers in this area?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
i think you are looking in the wrong section. there is no actual degree called ancient history.

but you can do an arts degree and major in ancent history

X

xeuyrawp

melanieeeee. said:
there is no actual degree called ancient history.
Wrong.

i think you are looking in the wrong section.
I don't.

-may-cat- said:
hey there, ive been considering going for a uni course in ancient history after the hsc but have been having a bit of trouble in finding a uni that has that course! anyone know which uni's in sydney actually do this?
Hi,

I'm currently doing ancient history at uni.

If you're looking at ancient history at uni, you are looking at Macquarie and Sydney Uni exclusively. At Macquarie, you can do ancient history in a whole range of degrees (Cert/Diploma in Ancient Languages, BA, BIntStud, BAncHist(Hons), etc etc). At Sydney, you can do similar studies, but you're primarily looking at a BA.

Fortunately, it's a pretty basic choice. If you want to do any substantial Egyptian history, you have to come to Macquarie.

If you want to do substantial Classical language studies (Latin and Greek), I'd recommend Sydney.

It's pretty much as straight-forward as that. Macquarie has got slightly better opportunities for archaeological fieldwork in both Classical and non-Classical areas. International funding generally is better at Macquarie, as well. There are some areas of history which both unis only have (eg Sydney has Aramaic and Syriac, Macquarie has Coptic, etc), but unless you want to do Egyptian history or Classical languages, it's a flip of the coin - chose the uni that's nearest to you.

also, my parents have been pretty discouraging about this as they have pretty high expectations of me and say thers shit all career opportunities in ancient hist. I love it to bits and will probly do the course anyway but does anyone no of possible careers in this area?
Again, pretty straightforward. You need to make your own decision and not them run your life.

Do whatever you're passionate about. You may end up loving it and becoming and academic, or you may end up transferring to a marketing degree. If you want to put their mind at ease, maybe enrol in a semi-generic degree (like International Studies or something) where you've got electives. Try out ancient history in those electives, and see how you go.

Alternatively, enrol in an arts degree, and try out a range of subjects (ancient history included), and see how you go. If, say, you like psychology, you can transfer into that.

You need to remember that what degree you chose coming out of high-school isn't your career path laid out for you. There are continuous opportunities to transfer or change what you're doing. :)

Hope that helps.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
very helpful! thank you, that makes me so happy!

X

xeuyrawp

Glad I could help, hope it all works out for you. Let us know how you end up, as well. :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Will do, any ideas what kind of a uai i would be looking at for maquarie?

X

xeuyrawp

The 2008 cutoff for a CSP ('HECS') place in the BAncHist(Hons) was 83.50, and of a BA was 76.

The 2007 figure for a BA was 80. Not sure why the figure decreased; probably the university opening up numbers. In my year (2005), a BA was 85.

Who knows what will happen next year if the Rudd government cuts DFEE (full fee) places.

I think if you're aiming for a UAI of 85-90, you should be confident. Otherwise, there are lots of pathways options into both Bachelors. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)