• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Another graph question (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Well its being shift horizontally to the left by 3, its been vertically shifted up by 2. So b=-3, c=2. So that rules out A and D.

I think there is something wrong with this question because if you substitute the coordinate (2,3) back into this equation you get a value of a=-1

Here is my working out:

calamebe

HSC
There's no option for a=-1. And you don't really have to do any working out for this one. So here is my method

You see the hyperbola has a negative a because it is in the 2nd and 4th "quadrants" formed by it's asymptotes. B will be -3, as x cannot be 3, and similarly c will be 2 as y cannot be 2. So the only choice that fits all of these is C.

calamebe

HSC
Well its being shift horizontally to the left by 3, its been vertically shifted up by 2. So b=-3, c=2. So that rules out A and D.

I think there is something wrong with this question because if you substitute the coordinate (2,3) back into this equation you get a value of a=-1

Here is my working out:

It isn't given that the coordinate is (2,3), so you can't use it. Just look at it and C will be the only one that makes sense. But I agree the graph is off because subbing a, b and c for x=2 will get (2,4) which is clearly not right.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
It isn't given that the coordinate is (2,3), so you can't use it. Just look at it and C will be the only one that makes sense. But I agree the graph is off because subbing a, b and c for x=2 will get (2,4) which is clearly not right.
I guess I am making an assuming that the coordinate which is pretty much directly on the line is (2,3)

It clearly has to be a negative 'a' value as the curve is a negative hyperbola function.

calamebe

HSC
I guess I am making an assuming that the coordinate which is pretty much directly on the line is (2,3)

It clearly has to be a negative 'a' value as the curve is a negative hyperbola function.
Yeah, thats why I said C.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)