Another Q&Q - DP (1 Viewer)

Mathematician

Describe the impact of de Broglies proposal that any kind of particle has both wave and particle properties

His proposal started the quantum mechanics theory because scientists found that if light could exhibit wave-particle duality then macroscopic classical theories could not be obeyed because an uncertainty priciple could be derived from it and his proposal is also fundamental to schrodinger's wave function.

IS THIS TRUE? Can you fellow physics students help me fill this dot point? ( any more??)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i've no idea bout the uncertainty thing being able to be derived from the wave-particle duality.

but yes, schrodinger did use de Broglie's proposal as the basis of his wave mechanics. however, his wave mechanics is just one of several equivalent formulations of quantum mechanics...

maybe it's beside the point but i kinda get the feeling schrodinger was a complete nutjob.. lol the many-worlds theory of quantum mechanics is actually a lot more plausible than the wave one, but yeh.. haha... ^^

Mathematician

well somewhere he used E = hf , for a particle, so thats accepting wave particle duality right?
Thanx for replying but, hey

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
im pretty sure shrodinger derived his wave mechanics partly from de broglies wave eqn lamda=h/p... but shrodinger is no longer in the course anyway...

im a bit iffy about the original syllabus point though.... i HATE all these assess the impact on society points:chainsaw: .....so i'd appreciate it if anyone can clears this point up.

anyway what i got is taht de broglies matter/wave duality opened a new gate in thinking and inspired quantum mechanists such as heisenberg schrodinger and pauli etc. it provided an explaination for something that bohr cant explain, y there are stationary states. also it is a model which appealed to the classical physicists in its explaination by using their terms.

are there anything else?

Bannanafish

HSC
a big impact i can think of is now all particles have an associated wavelength, this is the principle behind electron microscopes and neutron diffraction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)