• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Another question about B. Laws (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
According to UAC a B. Law degree takes 4 years, whilst combined with communications a B. Law/ Communications degree takes 5 years. If the course workload is much the same whether be combined or not, why is there only a one year difference. And is it worth just doing the communications degree for the very fact that it only takes an extra year?

IamtheWalrus

HSC
N/A
I thought B.Law was only 3 years. But I couldn't even go through with that. I am a Law School Dropout!! Anyone else here a LSD?
I can't exactly remember how those combo degees work but I think you do the Comm subjects in the first 3 years with a little bit of Law subjects and then the final 2 years are just Law subjects. They are two different degrees so if you're interested in both you might as well go ahead with a combo degree.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You would be given a number of electives in the straight B Laws degree, some of which would be filled up by Communications courses in the combined degree. So very few electives for combined kids. :)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Lazarus said:
You would be given a number of electives in the straight B Laws degree, some of which would be filled up by Communications courses in the combined degree. So very few electives for combined kids. :)
Ok. But you would still be accredited with doing the two separate courses, right? So whats the disadvantage of having to share law electives?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Also if you do straight UTS communications you have to do 6 compulsory subjects + 2 professional subjects in first year. If you combine with law you don't have to do some of the first year compulsory subjects, they are replaced by law subjects instead. Plus you don't get as many communications electives.

Communications degrees can be very useful.... it's good to be media savvy in the business world today.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Would i be able to pick up a communications degree after doing straight first year law? Or would it be better to do law and communications then drop communications if it wasnt working out?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Probably better to start with communications, then drop it if you didn't like it, because it is hard to transfer in to communications.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)