• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Another which uni... which course thing.. HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

imagineryboi

HSC
ok... here's how i put it down... i'm interested in like music production stuff... like mixing and recording (not preferming).. like all the behind the scenes stuff of an album... i know that UTS offers a course (Bach of arts - media and production) but i was wondering if that course actually focuses alot ont he music side of stuff... and if it doesn't... is there any courses out there that is sorta like a media-production course and focuses mainly on music production???

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Hmm.. have you tried looking at non-university options as well?

There is still time ahead, so do please email the faculties at universities, who may be kind enough to show you the way. Be very careful about "media and production" degrees as they may involve performing and shooting films more than music. The jargon is different.

You might be better off talking to the music departments as well. Search up the faculties and schools/departments in the unis you might want to go to and find their emails.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Currently I'm doing a B Media in Multimedia and do Music as electives.

The Department of Contemporary Music Studies (DCMS) is dedicated to the study of various forms of 20th and 21st Century music (popular, folk/indigenous, electronic, avant garde etc.) It offers a major within the university’s generic Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree, a BA Honours program and research degrees at Masters and PhD level.

The Department has expanded rapidly since its establishment in 1999. This reflects the dynamism and commitment of its staff and the Department’s policy of supporting innovation in teaching.

The DCMS is also actively engaged in research, publication and recording projects and is Australia’s leading centre of activity in these fields. It publishes Perfect Beat – The Pacific Journal of Research into Contemporary Research and Popular Culture and runs Coral Music – a label dedicated to recording artists from Western Pacific communities.
Outside of the normal Bachelor entry, you can also do a JMC Adv.Dip and gain entry that way, if you have previous experience, or can't attain the UAI.
JMC students completing the new Advanced Diploma in Music Performance and the
new academic methods qualifying unit will be accepted for entry into the BA degree
program at Macquarie University with advanced standing of 38 credits points
enabling them to obtain the BA degree in two semesters of full-time study + two
vacation period units.
For the most part, the music department really focuses on the practical stuff, and doesn't force you to learn anything TOO musical. That is, theory isn't as big as a problem as say other unis.

MUS100 - Reading Contemporary Music (no pre-reqs). Theorising Contemporary Music MUS100 essay questions
MUS102 - Passion, Rebellion and Identity in Popular Music (no pre-reqs)
MUS202 - Introduction to Music Technique (pre-req MUS100)
MUS203 - Virtual Studio Music Technology (pre-req MUS202)
MUS204 - Sound Explorations (pre-req MUS100 or 101)
MUS205 - Introduction to Vocal Studies (pre-req 15 credit points)
MUS206 - Intermediate Vocal Studies (pre-req MUS205)
MUS207 - Guitar Principles (pre-req 15 credit points)
MUS209 - Music Business (pre-req 15 credit points)
MUS211 - Digital Rhythms & Dance Cultures (pre-req MUS100 or MUS102)
MUS230 - African Drumming (pre-req 12 credit points)
MUS300 - VST CD production (pre-reqs MUS203 & MUS204)
MUS301 - World Music (pre-req 40 credit points)
MUS302 - Music and Multimedia (pre-req MUS300 or 40 credit points)
MUS303 - Screen Soundtracks (pre-req 40 credit points)
MUS304 - Advanced Vocal Techniques (pre-req MUS205)
MUS305 - Rock/ Blues Guitar (pre-req MUS207)
MUS306 - Pacific Guitar Styles (pre-req MUS207)
MUS311 - Digital Music Practice: Mixing and DJ-ing (pre-req MUS203 or MUS 211)
MUS315 - Introduction to Improvisation in Music (pre-req 40 credit points)
http://www.dcms.mq.edu.au/main/undergraduate.html

Any more questions? :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha oh yes, G5s, G4s, studios, mix desks, midi interfaces, and we got new stuff for the dj course :D

imagineryboi

HSC
thanks for all the people above that posted and helped me out...
um... and keep the info coming y'all... really appreciate it...
thanks in advance to those hu will be posting up more info....
mac uni..... never thought of there... lolz

BizzyP

HSC
You might want to consider TAFE. Nirimba TAFE is supposed to be very good for music industry things. I was considering doing music technical production there for a while. my friend does music industry business there and is very happy.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i saw a sign for the Nirimba Education Precint the other day... precint makes it sound like a prison... no wait, thats Parklea Correctional Centre... hmmmmm maybe they're the same place??

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
I know a guy from school is doing music production at TAFE. Thats about all i can tell you unfortunately.

EDIT: I found this but im pretty sure its in Victoria
http://www.bhtafe.edu.au/Courses/BAM95.htm

Ive also had a look in an old TAFE handbook (you might be able to get one from your careers advisor). The courses are titled "Music Industry (technical production)". TAFEnsw course code 7819 - there are others that follow after this. Have a look anyway :)

Last edited:

imagineryboi

HSC
well i was thinking more of uni cos um... since i'm doing pretty well in my units at school... so like if i did the actual HSC exam and got prtty high... isn't a watse then??? i'm not so sure tho... lolz...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Yep this is true. Apparently its the best TAFE in the state to do it at, facilities wise. I know a boy who live don campus with me and graduated from a sound engineering course last year, and now he's doing sound and lighting for gigs all around Sydney...he met 50 cent, amoung other well known bands
Pfft! Thats nothing! Macquarie produced the Wiggles!! :p :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)