Any advice to the newies? (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Hi guys
Im just starting year 12 and was wondering if anyone had any advice to give me.. good text books? whats hard? whats not? Opinions on the HSC course? etc etc etc
thanks xoxo

Rahul

Dead Member
start early, as in read you text book as early as possible. the best textbook for you would be jacaranda at the moment. get the success one later on, around time of trials.

most important thing would be to start early.

^___^
HSC
jacaranda and mcmillian...

mcmillian is pretty good, but use jacaranda first...

any q's, post away...(not that i'll have any chance of getting it right:rolleyes: )

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Whats wrong with quantum to quarks?
I think thats the option topic we're doing :(
I have a physics book called Physics in Context? Is that any good ive been using it (rarely) for the prelim course and its really got a lot of stuff in it. maybe too much!

^___^
HSC
hmm...i dunno, but HSC course, jacaranda is the best...try get a hand on jacaranda and compare it with ur one...

and if ur doing Q2Q(quanta to quarks), ur in luck cos a lot of ppl do it and hence if u ask a q's here, more likely ppl will answer it...and its probably the most interesting and hard topic..

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by mazza_728
I have a physics book called Physics in Context? Is that any good ive been using it (rarely) for the prelim course and its really got a lot of stuff in it. maybe too much!
i dont recommend it at all.

you will find that the jacaranda one will surpass it quite easily...

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
choose quatnum to quarks - it's the easiest to get marks in.. but u gotta know ur stuf.

jacaranda's good.
get the surfing books - they're excellent as an extra resource/summary ntoes.

allyteaded

I agree with Jacaranda. It's pretty good. But the bad thing is that there's a new syllabus and Jackaranda has way too much info for the new syllabus that you won't need. I think there's a new one coming out soon though. (or is it out already...?)

What's wrong with Quanta? I thought I'd hate it but I love it! - I was hoping to do Astrophysics but now I don't mind, I quite like Quanta. It's interesting. If I ever get into physics later in my life I'd probably research something in the field of Quanta, nuclear physics...

but I'm an art person too... :p

Antisocial

A quantum is the smallest amount of energy given off (very generally speaking) - so you can expect to learn about the constituents of the constituents of an atom.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i have jacaranda macmillan and contexts, i have to say macmillan is the worst out of those 3 by far.... for the syllabus going by the syllabus.

and like all science topics, make notes on each syllabus point and cram

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
does it kinda collide with chemistry knowledge? because i do chemistry as well so would i benefit?
Possibly in the Chemical Monitoring and Management module, where you learn about AAS.

And Macmillan is the worst physics textbook I've ever seen. If your school gives you that, buy a different book.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Skywalker
Possibly in the Chemical Monitoring and Management module, where you learn about AAS.
indeed.

And Macmillan is the worst physics textbook I've ever seen. If your school gives you that, buy a different book.
actually macmillan aint that bad for medical physics- its betta than some of the other texts out there

oh yeah- and keep writing summary notes- don't do them all like 2 weeks b4 hsc like i just finished them the other day.. yeah know ur pracs and physics contexts 2 aint a bad textbook

^___^
HSC

hmm..not really...Mcmillian explains some stuff better than other books....

but sometimes they get a bit...shockingly complicated

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by mazza_728
LOL so what is the best? Jacaranda?
yes, thats what i think. the best primary text book IMO.

its good to have other sources to refer to aswell...

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
no macmillan is really crap for physics, its only good for interesting stuff thats not in the syllabus, or a summary of ideas (but then u would use better summaries wouldnt you). ive relied on longman and jacaranda alot more than macmillan...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)