• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Any chance of me getting into USyd? (2 Viewers)

oct25

HSC
I finished the HSC in 08' with a UAI of 90.25

I began my science degree at UNSW in 09, but halfway through the semester, I started getting bouts of pretty severe anxiety which had a massive impact on me. Anyway, I ended up failing that semester, and quit my degree right afterwards, way too depressed to go on. This continued until I finally revealed everything to my family and they helped me to overcome it.

Now I'm really looking forward to entering uni again!

I've applied through UAC and have put down Economics and Arts @ USyd. I've been researching on USyd entry requirements, and from their website they say:
"Your results from tertiary study will only be considered if you have been enrolled for at least one full-time year or an equivalent period part-time. "

However, they also state:
"Applicants with a record of failure at tertiary study are less competitive for a place than those with a successful academic history. A record of exclusion will normally prevent applicants from gaining admission into any undergraduate course.

If you have been excluded from a degree course you will not be considered for admission unless you have successfully undertaken study at a similar course level since the exclusion or you are able to provide a satisfactory explanation with appropriate supporting documentation. See the section below on special consideration for admission for more information on how to make this submission."

However, I didn't go to a psychologist or professional to overcome my hypochondria, so I have no proof that it was the reason behind my poor marks. If they think I'm an idiot just because of a single semester that was poor, they won't accept me.

Am I right to be worrying? What would be the best thing for me to do at the moment? Should I write a letter or something to the uni? It just seems really daunting because unis seem so impersonal. If I write a letter they'll just read it and throw it out (at least that's what I tell myself).

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated!!!</SPAN>

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
You should be okay if they count your GPA only if you have studied 1 yr FTE. So yeh, they should just count your UAI.

For next time, get everything documented - it always helps down the track.

oct25

HSC
You should be okay if they count your GPA only if you have studied 1 yr FTE. So yeh, they should just count your UAI.

For next time, get everything documented - it always helps down the track.
Thanks, the problem however is in the second statement, the one about failures, and with 4 fails in the first semester, that's sure to ring bells. I just don't know how to go about explaining it to them.

oct25

HSC
You wont need to as they wont count them. They wont see them.

You were excluded or suspended were you?
By second statement I meant: "Applicants with a record of failure at tertiary study are less competitive for a place than those with a successful academic history. A record of exclusion will normally prevent applicants from gaining admission into any undergraduate course.

If you have been excluded from a degree course you will not be considered for admission unless you have successfully undertaken study at a similar course level since the exclusion or you are able to provide a satisfactory explanation with appropriate supporting documentation. See the section below on special consideration for admission for more information on how to make this submission."

And no, I don't think I was excluded or suspended because I'd already handed in a form for "quit degree at end of semester" like 5 weeks into the semester because I didn't want to go on doing it.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
You should be fine, I dont see what the problem is...

If you're concerned about your fails, they dont count as you havent studied one year FTE.

oct25

HSC
You should be fine, I dont see what the problem is...

If you're concerned about your fails, they dont count as you havent studied one year FTE.
I guess I'm just fearing that there's a chance I may have been excluded without knowing? How would I find out whether or not I've been excluded?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A

oct25

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)