Any ideas on how to derive topic areas out of a chosen personality? (1 Viewer)

zaccy14

HSC
Initially, I was trying to investigate "The Effect of Disease on European Expansion" yet was not intrigued at all. (open to anybody if interested)
Wondering if anybody has had any experience with information on a chosen personality (Gandhi) and a possible topic area that could accompany that?
There are so many options to choose, but having alot of trouble settling on a particular one.
Any information would be helpful.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Sounds like you're having the same issues as me, too many awesome possibilities! I think the hardest part of the Major Work will be just choosing one focus area, and then deciding on a question.

Just be careful with Gandhi. He's a key component in the Modern History Year 12 syllabus for the 'Option D: India 1919–1947' in the National Studies Section of the Modern History Course. Basically the content in the course involves evaluating his role, ideas, and impact on Indian Nationalism. So just be weary of what direct path you choose for the Major Work, and once decided double check with your teacher on if he/she has a problem with minimal overlapping. Board of Studies states 'significant overlapping of other examinable HSC and SC History Courses' but I think you would be okay, since Gandhi in Option D is very small, and you would be looking at him much more in depth!

That being said, perhaps you could debate his primary role in India; was he a political figure or a social reformer? Maybe analyse his legacy on India? Perhaps an evaluation of his actions in India, were they significant for people / country? why? Umm, maybe argue his most significant decision / action in his life?

There's questions you could derive from the Modern History Syllabus (and also the Ancient History Syllabus when looking at personalities), there's quite a few Historiographical questions, such as evaluation the role of the personality in their context, analysing the legacy, their impact in the times and the future of the nation in context, impact of personality on history.

Hopefully this helped a bit. :)
Good luck on your endeavour with the Major Work.

zaccy14

HSC
Yes thanks alot, your info was really helpful.
Gandhi had some debates yet no major critics of his works.
And after all, the topic interested me at first yet I need something that will really keep me going.
I am really looking for a personality that has strong ties with historical events that are heavily critiqued and debatable. Yet a major problem with foreign personalities is that there will be a good chance that some of his/her's major critics will have their works in another language.
So many possibilities, I have to break them down quickly.
Once again, thanks for the help.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
No worries, glad it was helpful. =)

There is a number of personalities listed in both the Ancient and Modern History syllabi. I personally wouldn't recommend choosing one of the main ones; unless you've cleared it with your teacher before you start in depth research into the work. However, most personalities have a number of associated individuals which had significant roles in history. For example the option Alexander the Great also would cover the significance of Darius and Phillip II. Same situation with the historical periods, as they are almost always centered around historical events. For example you could evaluate the significance of the Roman Republics' collapse in ending the full throttle of Rome's power in terms of Empire and Province. Just be weary when flicking through the syllabus, about 'significant overlapping'; however, there are some great ideas imbedded in the syllabus dot points which would be great History Extension Majors.

Anything else you need a hand on, just give us a shout. : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)