Any Suggestions Please? (1 Viewer)

memo15

HSC
Hi I know the forum is for secondary education, however i was wondering if anyone knows a one on one tutor that is able to come to home to tutor for year 3 naplan (for my little sister) . Thank you

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Why don't you tutor her?
Also, Year 3 NAPLAN (the test itself) does not require tutoring.
If your sister is a struggling student, just send her to any good coaching college and her marks will definitely improve over time (it works 90% of the time).

Starting tutoring at a very young age could be quite beneficial long term so if you feel like she needs it, just look around for tuition centres!
Also, what is her weaker subject? English or Mathematics?
English - Ask her to read books (pick some fun ones to read), ask her to write narratives, expositions and discussions every now and then, etc. and ask her to do comprehension questions every now and then too! To best prepare for NAPLAN, ask her to do past papers which can be downloaded on the net (I think).
Maths - NAPLAN past papers, you can teach her extension work (like Year 4 MATHS), set extra homework questions for her to do, buying books with maths questions for her to answer and yeah, just a lot of maths questions.

You don't need a tutor for Year 3 NAPLAN, but you might need a tutor to improve over time if you are a struggling student.
Your sister is still young so no worries!

Magical Kebab

HSC
Why don't you tutor her?
Also, Year 3 NAPLAN (the test itself) does not require tutoring.
If your sister is a struggling student, just send her to any good coaching college and her marks will definitely improve over time (it works 90% of the time).

Starting tutoring at a very young age could be quite beneficial long term so if you feel like she needs it, just look around for tuition centres!
Also, what is her weaker subject? English or Mathematics?
English - Ask her to read books (pick some fun ones to read), ask her to write narratives, expositions and discussions every now and then, etc. and ask her to do comprehension questions every now and then too! To best prepare for NAPLAN, ask her to do past papers which can be downloaded on the net (I think).
Maths - NAPLAN past papers, you can teach her extension work (like Year 4 MATHS), set extra homework questions for her to do, buying books with maths questions for her to answer and yeah, just a lot of maths questions.

You don't need a tutor for Year 3 NAPLAN, but you might need a tutor to improve over time if you are a struggling student.
Your sister is still young so no worries!
Yeah this sounds good.
Year 3 naplan, maybe tutor her urself, just a little help. Get her to do a past paper, find her weakness and work on it with her, but make it fun.

memo15

HSC
Loll thanks that's what I told my mum but thing is my mum doesn't have time to help her with her homework and what not so she was looking for someone to sit next to her after school a few days to help her .. So any suggestions....?

ShortSided

HSC
Option 1: Buy those NAPLAN preparation booklets from a Newsagent store/Big W (Kind of expensive though..)
Option 2: Tutor her yourself
Option 3: Tuition Centres (ABC College/Pre-Uni - That's the only tuition centres I know that caters for Primary students) Never heard of a tutor that tutors Primary school children one on one though...

IMO, let her do the test without tutoring and other 'necessary' preparation since it's [NAPLAN] just an indication to see where she's at with her Numeracy and Literacy~

(I started tutoring in Year 2 :p)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Isn't NAPLAN like the old Basic Skills tests? I thought you were SUPPOSED to wing it.

memo15

HSC
so no one that comes to the house to tutor one on one? :p thanks anyway..

memo15

HSC
and i cant tutor her because of hsc this year :p so i doubt ill have tymm

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I don't think it's right for me to concern myself in what your parents think are necessary for their daughter because you people would obviously know her a lot better but I believe you should tell your parents to allow your sister to attempt NAPLAN without any form of tuition at the beginning.

Because, who knows? Some students are gifted to the point where tuition is simply a boring routine exercise every week of their life. Your sister might find academics extremely easy, and that could save you people some money for the next few years instead of spending it into some college because in reality, i'm not trying to be demeaning, but nobody unfortunately gives a thought about NAPLAN. Give the sister some slack and freedom to discover what she enjoys. Perhaps she enjoys art, maybe sport is a highlight or sciences and literature interest her.

Maybe she'll perform well or if she doesn't do well, then you can consider finding a coaching college for her to attend but please give your sister a chance to show off what she really knows rather then what a tutor has instilled into her because yr 3s should be enjoying their lives, not rote learning and doing constant exercises to the point where they say 'tuition is boring' but if she does find tuition fun, then please allow her to continue.

By all means, if your parents really do think tuition is a must for your sister then please go ahead and find one such as Fiona Education or Pre Uni college or James An, but please consider what I want to point out for you.

Magical Kebab

HSC
I don't think it's right for me to concern myself in what your parents think are necessary for their daughter because you people would obviously know her a lot better but I believe you should tell your parents to allow your sister to attempt NAPLAN without any form of tuition at the beginning.

Because, who knows? Some students are gifted to the point where tuition is simply a boring routine exercise every week of their life. Your sister might find academics extremely easy, and that could save you people some money for the next few years instead of spending it into some college because in reality, i'm not trying to be demeaning, but nobody unfortunately gives a thought about NAPLAN. Give the sister some slack and freedom to discover what she enjoys. Perhaps she enjoys art, maybe sport is a highlight or sciences and literature interest her.

Maybe she'll perform well or if she doesn't do well, then you can consider finding a coaching college for her to attend but please give your sister a chance to show off what she really knows rather then what a tutor has instilled into her because yr 3s should be enjoying their lives, not rote learning and doing constant exercises to the point where they say 'tuition is boring' but if she does find tuition fun, then please allow her to continue.

By all means, if your parents really do think tuition is a must for your sister then please go ahead and find one such as Fiona Education or Pre Uni college or James An, but please consider what I want to point out for you.
Yeah maybe even try this. See how she goes, get her one of the revision books and see how it goes. If your family can afford tuition, then do it or wait till she starts high school for that sort of stuff. But totally up to you and ur mum, if your serious and want her to do REALLY well, then consider tuition, but don't give her the impression that this is all 'hard' and 'important', as it may have a bad affect on her and make it all scary.

Good luck though.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
As a person, myself, who has gone tuition for Mathematics since Year 3 (as a struggling student), I'd definitely say that tuition has helped me improve as a student in every subject! (not just mathematics). I am now probably an over-average student and I will be attending a fully selective school this year. Back then, doctors told my parents that I was a slow speaker than most kids (I struggled to speak English until like Year 2) so delayed speech in a sense during Kindergarten and Year 1. In Year 3, after several weeks/months of tuition, I did the Basic Skills and got all Band 4s (Band 5 was the highest band available) so improvement was definitely showing. Then in Year 5, I received all Band 6s (the highest band available was band 6) in the Basic Skills. Success lives in everyone and sometimes, we need that extra boost to unlock our potential and in my case, it was the motivation boost from going tutoring (the competitive atmosphere and everything). Even now, I always think that I am nowhere near the genius-level and I feel like I've been quite lazy since the start of my high school career so I've lost my motivation. I hope to find back that motivation that was within me during my primary school years to be able to complete my preliminary and HSC journey.

All your sister needs is that extra boost because everyone has hidden potential that needs to be unlocked!

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
As a person, myself, who has gone tuition for Mathematics since Year 3 (as a struggling student), I'd definitely say that tuition has helped me improve as a student in every subject! (not just mathematics). I am now probably an over-average student and I will be attending a fully selective school this year. Back then, doctors told my parents that I was a slow speaker than most kids (I struggled to speak English until like Year 2) so delayed speech in a sense during Kindergarten and Year 1. In Year 3, after several weeks/months of tuition, I did the Basic Skills and got all Band 4s (Band 5 was the highest band available) so improvement was definitely showing. Then in Year 5, I received all Band 6s (the highest band available was band 6) in the Basic Skills. Success lives in everyone and sometimes, we need that extra boost to unlock our potential and in my case, it was the motivation boost from going tutoring (the competitive atmosphere and everything). Even now, I always think that I am nowhere near the genius-level and I feel like I've been quite lazy since the start of my high school career so I've lost my motivation. I hope to find back that motivation that was within me during my primary school years to be able to complete my preliminary and HSC journey.

All your sister needs is that extra boost because everyone has hidden potential that needs to be unlocked!
What you have said is true to some extent and I can justify that. As a year 10 student now, I have recently started getting 1 on 1 tuition for English and maths for about half a year now. Rivalryoftroll is correct, for some people, tuition motivates you to perform better and improve your marks and this has certainly been the case for me at my school.

However, please bear in mind the fact that not everyone will be motivated to attend tuition, especially for a person at a young age. This is why I have mentioned previously, that you must know whether your sister finds tuition either boring or fun because without the motivation, she'll most likely not perform to her best. Give her some time to just consider what she really wants in life. Maybe her aspirations are to be a volunteer worker and education isn't her thing, then of course there isn't any shame in that at all because everyone is different and not everyone is made to be a doctor or lawyer (not trying to be stereotypical here).

So if you'll consider this, talk through with your sister if tuition is right and comfortable for her, because children shouldn't be forcefully placed into things they don't want because they won't find satisfaction and the money will be wasted for her education.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)