Any universities offering good GIS programs? (2 Viewers)

latvia

HSC
N/A
Hi to everyone who reads this. :)

I was wondering if you know of any good GIS (Geographic Information Systems) programs offered in AUS universities (esp. NSW, preferably Sydney)?

I have tried searching on BoS but there seemed to be little to no info on this.......

I believe this subject should fall under the Science Faculty but am not sure.....
it might be related to IT too...

Please feel free to share what you know/heard about GIS studies in Australia.

Thank you so much! :wave:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Macquarie University:
Bachelor of Arts, majoring in geographical information science, 3 years full time or equivalent
Bachelor of Science, majoring in geographical information science, 3 years full time or equivalent

University of New South Wales - Kensington Campus:
Bachelor of Engineering (Surveying and Spatial Information Systems), 4 years full time

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Wow, didn't know it could be under engineering and arts too.

Thanks Captain Gh3y.
I'll go check 'em out at the uni sites.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
GIS is sort of related to other spatial sciences, but that engineering degree would be more if you wanted to become a surveyor (in which case one would be better off coming to Newcastle, because we're cool).

I don't know if the major at Maq is professionally recognised or not, best to check their site. There's also a spatial sciences major at CSU, but that's not in Sydney.

SuperKimmie

HSC
N/A
I've seen it offered under business too as it (the amount and type of data) has some huge business implications. Seems like a very hot topic...

Generator

HSC
N/A
The Club Mac situation is due to the university splitting the discipline of Geography between the Sciences (physical) and the Arts (human) - I'm assuming that the only real difference would be in the nature of the examples used to teach the techniques.

At USyd there is no GIS programme as such (that I know of, anyway), but the School of Geosciences does offer the odd GIS unit or two (mainly in marine science and coastal management). In other words, you'd be best to avoid USyd if you're after a decent GIS programme and aren't willing (or able) to tackle an Honours year that revolves around a GIS project or issue of some sort.

Actually, just avoid USyd for anything related to the Geosciences and GIS.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)