• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Any Year 12 '08'ers wishing to go to uni but have no idea what to do there? (1 Viewer)

=)lisa

whatdoyoumeanitalksofast?
HSC
I feel like everyone i know has at least a general guide as to what they want to do, where they want to go, etc, in regards to uni, and i dont.

I've just spent all day flicking through the UAC guide, and looking at the websites of the universities im interested in.

The most obvious way to look at this is "what are you interested in?"
Well, thats just it. I've come to realise that my interests are all over the place.
And i guess im kind of like a "Jack of all trades, master of none" in a sense (with interests) because i like a bit of everything, and cant pick a direct line to go in.

Also, i want to get into a course which has a decent work opportunities at the end. I dont expect to be spoon fed, and i will be pro active in terms of internships and stuff, but like, i get this feeling that in the Media/Arts range its really competitive and i will struggle to maintain a good job.

Considering im not that passionate about it, i cant see that it would be worth doing that. I mean, maybe just an Early Childhood teaching degree?

It seems like all id be satisfied with is just doing a random job, and i can most definitely see myself getting a job that doesnt really need qualifications. I WAANTT to be qualified though,.

Ugh, sorry about this rant.
If anyone has any words of advice, id really appreciate it.
Thanks.

I know there is still a fair bit of time to decide, but i need to get my head around all this at some stage.

xox

SiN3m

HSC
yeah ur right...it all boils down to skills, wants and likes...

where do u see yourself in 10 years' time? try to work down from your goal or what ever to the course rather than from uni course to desired job...

I was like you too at one stage, but like me, something will stand out for you...

you can chnage your uac preferences until jan 6 so put something general down for now then think about it...worse comes to worse, do an arts subject...once in uni u may find what you're looking for...

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
take a gap year, travel the world, meet interesting people, get a job, volunteer work

you have a year to make up your mind, a whole year

=)lisa

HSC
yeah they are both valid options.
trying not to be close minded here, but i dont think i am ready to travel yet.
Perhaps after uni would be more appropriate.

I will have more of a think about travelling as an option, because it does sound great... but i think i would prefer to further my education at this stage.

I think my problem is that i am looking at it as OH MY GOD, MY CAREER, and therefore id need to align a suitable uni course, with job prospects, etc.

Would it be wiser to just pick something based on mere interests that may not result in great job prospects? Or to start out with something, and transfer? Just so i get an idea of courses at uni, etc.

Thanks for your replies :)

SiN3m

HSC
i think you should go with something you enjoy then look for a transfer later....

no point in forcing yourself into something you're not gonna enjoy...

personallt, i can't and DON'T work hard if i dnt like it....dnt know about u but i dnt think it's worth a risk....

ctrlaltv

HSC
=)lisa said:
I feel like everyone i know has at least a general guide as to what they want to do, where they want to go, etc, in regards to uni, and i dont.

I've just spent all day flicking through the UAC guide, and looking at the websites of the universities im interested in.

The most obvious way to look at this is "what are you interested in?"
Well, thats just it. I've come to realise that my interests are all over the place.
And i guess im kind of like a "Jack of all trades, master of none" in a sense (with interests) because i like a bit of everything, and cant pick a direct line to go in.

Also, i want to get into a course which has a decent work opportunities at the end. I dont expect to be spoon fed, and i will be pro active in terms of internships and stuff, but like, i get this feeling that in the Media/Arts range its really competitive and i will struggle to maintain a good job.

Considering im not that passionate about it, i cant see that it would be worth doing that. I mean, maybe just an Early Childhood teaching degree?

It seems like all id be satisfied with is just doing a random job, and i can most definitely see myself getting a job that doesnt really need qualifications. I WAANTT to be qualified though,.

Ugh, sorry about this rant.
If anyone has any words of advice, id really appreciate it.
Thanks.

I know there is still a fair bit of time to decide, but i need to get my head around all this at some stage.

xox

what UAI do you think your going to get?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
the funny thing with uni is you go into the program thinking you're gonna study something you really like until they throw 4 assignments in a row at you :D

ctrlaltv

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
the funny thing with uni is you go into the program thinking you're gonna study something you really like until they throw 4 assignments in a row at you :D
ooh, your doing computer science @ unsw. please dont tell me they give alot of homework/assessments/ etc :(

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
And they are serious business with plaigarism.
lol Auto-Fail with the plaigarism in computing.

=)lisa

HSC
ctrlaltv said:
what UAI do you think your going to get?
no clue.
im doing average-top of the class in all my subjects, with pretty good marks at that (ie, 80-90% avg)
I think i will achieve over 80, lol, i like dont like to set REALLLLLLLLLY high goals.
Although, i could very well get high 80s- low 90s.
Im not sure..

The Bachelor of Arts in Communications (Media Arts and Production) had a UAI of about 94 or something, i think that might be just a bit too out of my league, lol.

To answer your question... no idea.

SiN3m

HSC
darkwolfzx said:

lol plz dnt scare me lmao

ctrlaltv

HSC
=)lisa said:
no clue.
im doing average-top of the class in all my subjects, with pretty good marks at that (ie, 80-90% avg)
I think i will achieve over 80, lol, i like dont like to set REALLLLLLLLLY high goals.
Although, i could very well get high 80s- low 90s.
Im not sure..

The Bachelor of Arts in Communications (Media Arts and Production) had a UAI of about 94 or something, i think that might be just a bit too out of my league, lol.

To answer your question... no idea.

try here? type in 80.00 and 90.00 for the UAI section. maybe it'll shorten your list of options.
http://www.uac.edu.au/course_search/search.html

and who said you cant get 94? you never know unless you try.

=)lisa

HSC
SiN3m said:
personallt, i can't and DON'T work hard if i dnt like it....dnt know about u but i dnt think it's worth a risk....
I can only really get motivated when its close to the assessment date.
I definitely agree. If you like the subject, its that much easier, but in saying that, i still get the work done if it needs to be done.

By this stage i cant stand half the subjects i do at school, but i still manage to get assessments done, etc.

I suppose with uni, my weakness would be not wanting to turn up to lectures or whatever, if im not interested in the material.

And that is a problem, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)