• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Any1 considering or know some one joining defence force?? (1 Viewer)

reece123

HSC
Any1 considering joing the army or any of the defence forces next year? If so which one and what position.
I was considering the sponsored graduate thingy where they pay you to get a degree but then your stuck in the army once u complete for several years even if you decide its not for you. Also its only available for officers, which isnt what I want.

Also i dont mind the idea of living on a base just a little worried at the fact that all the bases are in the middle of nowhere or shit places with nothing to do on weekends eg. wagga canberra, holsworthy, darwin.
If any has beein in the army or has a brother etc. if they could share their experiences of livng on one of these bases.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
reece123 said:
Any1 considering joing the army or any of the defence forces next year? If so which one and what position.
I was considering the sponsored graduate thingy where they pay you to get a degree but then your stuck in the army once u complete for several years even if you decide its not for you. Also its only available for officers, which isnt what I want.

Also i dont mind the idea of living on a base just a little worried at the fact that all the bases are in the middle of nowhere or shit places with nothing to do on weekends eg. wagga canberra, holsworthy, darwin.
If any has beein in the army or has a brother etc. if they could share their experiences of livng on one of these bases.
Yeah one of my mates is joining nxt yr. And dude u do know u can join and get trained in the trades. Oh and there is at least one army base in Sydney, cause the Lancers are at Parramatta near the station

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Yeah, my brother joined the airforce as a mechanic. He did basic training or whatever, learnt about planes (I guess...) then after his contract ended, he went into IT. He enjoyed it, but it wasn't for him, he's not much of a people person, and I guess he got sick of constantly having to make friends.

psyfre

Supercalifragilisticexp..
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yeah, my brother joined the airforce as a mechanic. He did basic training or whatever, learnt about planes (I guess...) then after his contract ended, he went into IT. He enjoyed it, but it wasn't for him, he's not much of a people person, and I guess he got sick of constantly having to make friends.
do u kno how long the contract is for?? i woulda loved to jion the adfa but i didnt want to be in som crapy "contract" after i finish my degree...

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
psyfre said:
do u kno how long the contract is for?? i woulda loved to jion the adfa but i didnt want to be in som crapy "contract" after i finish my degree...
nine years for an officer

Skeeta

HSC
2 of my best mates are in the army.. one only left on tuesday so i dont know how hes going yet.. the otherones been gone since jan. he seems to like it so far :)

0Jade0

HSC
My friend is going to join the navy after school. I'm thinking of joining the US Air Force.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
0Jade0 said:
My friend is going to join the navy after school. I'm thinking of joining the US Air Force.
Are u still a US citizen

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
0Jade0 said:
Still? No........
Arent u a yank, or was that ur dad, If i remember rightly from the Macquarie Fields Thread

iamsickofyear12

HSC
We had the army come to school and talk to us last year. I went along because I had nothing else to do. It sounded great until the end when they very briefly mentioned the bad things like being locked in for a long time and them being able to tell you where to live (although apparently you have some input).

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The 'contact' is the Return of Service Obligation basically the armed forces (and us as taxpayers) are not in the business of putting you through university (or trade training etc) for free. Basically you are locked in until you have paid off your debt.

Oh you don't have to be an American to join the US armed forces (in fact its almost in the reverse), you can join the US army as an 'alien' fresh off the boat and after serving the 3/4 years required you are awarded citizenship.

There are a large number of bases in and around capital citys as mentioned there is the barracks near parra, theres a large RAAF base in Richmond, Combat engineers in penrith etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)