• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anyone doing Brecht? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Just wondering if anyone's doing Brecht? I wish we did Absurdism b/c i fully loved it when i did it in the year 11 course. But i'm loving the Brecht course now so dats alright~

But jus wondering which texts the Brechtian ppl are doing? We're doing The Threepenny Opera and Caucasian Chalk Circle. I'm finding the Threepenny Opera very limiting..there's nothing to talk about it! And for 2 weeks our essays have been to do with STAGING...just wondering if anyone could help? There's so little to talk about staging in these 2 plays..yeh surely there's the revolve..and putting the band on the stage.. etc, but anyone know how to expand on it?

Thanks guys~ (i wish we did mother courage or something, apparently dat one has tonnes to talk about but it's a hard read or something)

meggy_moo

PMS PRINCESS
HSC
i did brecht last year and absolutely adored it. we ended up doing a performance infront of our whole school on it. ummm...with the play "threepeny" really focus on the consumer driven aspect...thts all i remember but ill look up my notes so any help you need just pm me

JimBob

HSC
N/A
YEah, we're doing brecht, same texts as you.
A mate of mine from another school did Mother Courage and hated it, so I'm glad we're doing these.

Yeah, like meggy said, focus on the consumerism type of stuff that is so common in the Threepenny Opera. Have you seen a performance of it yet? We saw the Belvoir one, and it was AWESOME, and it really helped get a good idea of how the play really works, so yeah. If you get a chance, see it.

We are workshopping Caucasian Chalk Circle now, and it's cool. Don't really know what to say about it... coz our teacher hasn't really taught us anything about it...

anyways, good luck

Binky

need help on mother courage... how does it make us feel about the way our society works, etc....
oh man, i so don't get this play.... it's so long and she hasn't given us any time to read because we've had to study other exams
any help would be REALLY appreciated...

ccgs_jono

mmhmmm

:eek: I just had my half yearly assessment on Brecht today...we had to present a 10-15 minute Directorial talk to a hypothetical cast and crew, presenting our idea's on 'Mother Courage'. We've studied 'Threepenny Opera' already I enjoyed both of them to some extent, but then again Epic Theatre isn't really that exciting.
Umm if you're stuck with Mother Courage, go to www.sparknotes.com and type 'Mother Courage' into the search box...there's a couple of really awesome study guides on there. (shame that ALL of the texts we study for the HSC aren't there...but I guess I was lucky with that one). Anyway, read through it, it's worth it...hope that helps aye.

HSC
I survived the Brecht essay...but next term i have an assessment coming up where i have to write 2 essays, one on Brecht and one on Aust. Theatre...omg...i'm sooo screwed>__<!

Hey guys, my teacher said the essays seem to be marked now with more focus on it being personal? As in, apparently they like us referring more to workshops we've done..or performances we've done from Brecht plays, so is that what you guys are doing in your essay?

Also, i've already done 2 drafts of my last essay and my teacher keeps writing "political context" at the bottom of my essay. I've already talked about marxism, Brecht's concern for the inequality between the upperclass and the working class...what else could i say? I said he was a communist..but anyone know what happened with Germany? How did that whole Hitler thing affect/ influence Brecht? (i'm an ancient history student..so i have NO IDEA..hahaha) Thanks guys!! Any help would be great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)