• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anyone done or considering doing a TESOL course? (1 Viewer)

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Has anyone done, or is anyone considering doing a TESOL course? It's basically a course that enables you to teach English overseas so that you can travel and work at the same time.
I've been considering doing it for a while now, and was wondering if anyone else out there had any advice or anything like that on the whole situation.

graphix

HSC
I've did a TESOL course with Global TESOL college http://www.globaltesol.com.au/ last year, I found it was quite fun and informative (not to mention you get a huge manual to work through and keep as a reference for the many teaching methods used as well).

Not sure if I am going to use the accreditation I got from it at all as I was undecided on my career paths last year and I am a bit off the idea of teaching right now (I'm at uni doing a Bachelor of Multimedia for the next 3 years, but I may try to use the TESOL grad to get a teaching job overseas if I travel in the future). But if you’re really into the idea and are planning to do it I do recommend Global as a good company to look at using.

The Rassias method is a interesting one, and for me as usually a shy sort of person in front of strangers it was nerve racking at first but once you get into the course you really lose those inhibitions and let yourself go. Also on top of learning heaps you also have a lot of fun which is really good imo.

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm really interested in doing a TESOL course too.... I really want to travel and I think that this would be an awesome thing to do... I was talking to someone who did one, and then taught English in Africa for a year... it sounded awesome.

graphix

HSC
Yeah I was really pumped into going to Japan or something after I did the course, but found out most offers are in China, Taiwan etc for inexperienced teachers (which is fine)....a lot of/most of offers are done over the web though and some can be dodgy so you have to do your research before jumping into a agreement, but Global and most other TESOL training companies do steer you in the right direction and will help you get a job if you want it (Global also have a 6 month guarantee or your money back when you do a course with them [you have to apply for at least 30 jobs spread over several countires though]).

I didn't choose to use the guarantee though as I've decided to go to uni now and continue on from my Diploma, but also incase I decide to get back into TESOL as you can go to higher-paying countries like Japan/Germany etc if you have a Bachelors degree. It doesn't matter what field the Bachelors degree is in as a lot of them just require you need one by law to be able to enter the country on a work visa.

But for entry level in the TESOL industry, China/Taiwan and a lot of the other 'lower-economy' asian countries is where the boom is and the place to go.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)