• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone else finding homework very time consuming? (1 Viewer)

gleeek

HSC
Well, I started my homework (for legal and modern) at 7.40, and only just finished now. Now I'm exhausted and still have some business study to do, along with English notes. HSC is already getting the better of me haha

(This thread if purely for empathy, so if you're going to post something smart assed or unrelated do not hesitate to exit :)

Focus is Key

HSC
Know how you feel. It took me like an hour to do my Ancient homework yesterday to the standard that I wanted.

iBibah

HSC
If you don't believe the homework is benefiting in any way, just don't do it. Homework should be such that you're effectively 'studying', and there shouldn't be a clear line between homework and other study, as it should all contribute to learning the content. If your told to do an exercise for, say maths, don't do the whole thing if you find it easy, just skip to harder questions. Some teachers do stupid things like ask for extended response questions overnight on an 'identify' syllabus point (happened at my school), just don't do it as it's pointless.

2xL

HSC
If you don't believe the homework is benefiting in any way, just don't do it. Homework should be such that you're effectively 'studying', and there shouldn't be a clear line between homework and other study, as it should all contribute to learning the content. If your told to do an exercise for, say maths, don't do the whole thing if you find it easy, just skip to harder questions. Some teachers do stupid things like ask for extended response questions overnight on an 'identify' syllabus point (happened at my school), just don't do it as it's pointless.
Lol, im sure your school didn't have "homework letters". At my school, if you don't complete one piece of homework, they send a letter to "discuss the issue with your child" but instead you get belted by the asian rents.

enoilgam

HSC
Couldnt agree more - if it isnt helping you, it isnt worth wasting your time doing it. Instead, do something more effective.

gleeek

HSC
Hey guys, thanks for the replies but it's not that it's not helping me as such but rather that it's just too time consuming which I find odd because it didn't take this long during prelim. Maybe that's because it's the HSC and i'm putting more effort into it haha

zeebobDD

HSC
never found the maths exercises to be useful, so i never did them half the homework time is gone:)

enoilgam

HSC
Hey guys, thanks for the replies but it's not that it's not helping me as such but rather that it's just too time consuming which I find odd because it didn't take this long during prelim. Maybe that's because it's the HSC and i'm putting more effort into it haha
I know this sounds rough - but sometimes, you just have to drink some concrete, harden up and get it done.

gleeek

HSC
I know this sounds rough - but sometimes, you just have to drink some concrete, harden up and get it done.
You're just being realistic. I just found it a bit unfamiliar and wanted to see if anyone else could relate. I wasn't complaining :)

HSC
Uni Grad
man, never did homework in year 12. I just did my own study, as it was more effective.

TBH, don't bother too much about it if you don't have time, just do what is best for you. After all, you are meant to be studying effectively, and not necessarily harder or longer.

enoilgam

HSC
You're just being realistic. I just found it a bit unfamiliar and wanted to see if anyone else could relate. I wasn't complaining :)
Having gone through the HSC - I know what you mean. It is tough but as long as you set short term goals, you should be able to stay motivated.

ClassOf2013

HSC
Only do homework in Year 12 if you think it will actually benefit you. If it's pointless or too easy, don't do it :)

iBibah

HSC
Lol, im sure your school didn't have "homework letters". At my school, if you don't complete one piece of homework, they send a letter to "discuss the issue with your child" but instead you get belted by the asian rents.
In that case do it to a crappy standard.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm starting to find 3U and 4U Maths to be time-consuming.

Why?
- Tutor homework for 3U and 4U.
- 3U maths homework at school plus 4U homework soon when 4U classes start next week.

And I try to do both school and tutor homework.

Then there's:
- Economics Notes
- Business Studies Notes
- Physics Notes, consolidating through doing questions and the rare here and there homework from Physics tutor at times.

And obviously, Advanced English is there as well.

I'll probably need to stop multi-tasking and actually get more productive each night if I want to do everything I want to do each night. (I usually plan to do things for 3 subs, end up doing stuff for 2 subs at max... maybe 1 sub even...)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think Year 12 learning should be a self driven approach, doing what will most benefit you in the time given.

But yeah, it sounds like you're just not acclimatised to how much work Year 12 can be yet.

enoilgam

HSC
I think Year 12 learning should be a self driven approach, doing what will most benefit you in the time given.
Also, doing this would benefit you for uni life - which has a high emphasis on self motivation and sufficiency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)