Anyone major in Performance/Theatre/Film studies? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm a year 12 student, and i was just wondering if any of you do Bachelor of Arts and major in Performance Studies/ Theatre/ Film studies or know of anyone who does? Thanks!:)

cayte

You don't actually get to do any performance I believe. Audition for Nida if you want to do a real theatre course. You probably won't get in (they take 1% of all applicants) but it's worth a shot.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I dont think that was the question. The question was whether or not anyone is majoring in those subjects
Personally, I wouldnt recommend majoring in them (I am in year 12 though). If applying for a job, i dont think a major in film studies sounds good.
I'm probably going to major in english and then psychology in 3rd year

cayte

I don't think it matters if that's what you think the question was. If one was to simply answer the question, one would simply be responding yes or no. The implication was that green_appletini
wanted to know what the course was like. I gave green_appletini
an adequate response to that question. If you think you are getting into a course where you get to perform, you are not. If you want to perform consider your other options. You may note that you made less of a response than did I to the question. Thus you can now shutup.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Hey,

Well I was having similar questions about a major (or simply credit points in) Performance Studies. I am more of a theorist when it comes to Drama, the best of my marks come from essays and critical theory in Drama.

What I've been told is that Sydney does not have a good Drama program, now what I want to know is if anyone else has heard this, and if anyone is doing the degree, do they enjoy it?

cayte

Sydney's far too toshy and focused on its international high-money-earning-graduates reputation to be bothered to create a decent theatre department. I would try Western Sydney (I'm told their practical and theoretical courses have been combined in a phasing out of the practical - which is actually better for you), maybe UNSW (they have a decent sounding theatre in education department) or Wollongong - don't know much about their theoretical courses, but they have a reasonably well-esteemed performance course down there. Hope that helps!

HSC
Are you sure Sydney doesn't really have a good course for theatre??? I spoke to my drama teacher and she said her past students have actually enjoyed performance studies in Sydney Uni and that SUDS also gave them an opportunity to perform~ Western Sydney's also more well known for performance stuff, so i'm not so sure about their theory bit~

Hi Will_Sparky, have u looked at its topic/studies outline in the SydneY Uni website under theatre studies? It looks really interesting. Melbourne Uni also seems to have a fantastic course, so check it out:) I'm a performance person, but somehow i just love the theory component:)~

But i have to agree with cayte that the sydney uni ppl aren't really nice at all. All the ppl i've spoken to in open days/tertiary evening were sooo arrogant, and one even said to me: "um, you like drama? we have no practical components to it, why don't u do music performance then?"......that woman had NO idea what she was going on about. She didn't even mention SUDS to me and she was from the arts faculty...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Originally posted by green_appletini
But i have to agree with cayte that the sydney uni ppl aren't really nice at all. All the ppl i've spoken to in open days/tertiary evening were sooo arrogant, and one even said to me: "um, you like drama? we have no practical components to it, why don't u do music performance then?"......that woman had NO idea what she was going on about. She didn't even mention SUDS to me and she was from the arts faculty...
But im a snob :p

cayte

SUDS is a society, it has nothing to do with the academic side of uni, so you shouldn't really use that in your decision of where you want to attend. The UWS theatre/performance courses used to be separated into dance, theatre and theory. Now they've combined the theatre and theory courses in an attempt to academify the course and give it extra credibility (and less relevance to the actual industry). Even if you enrol in the arts degree and do the 1st year components for the performance major, you don't have to go through with it and you will have to study other subjects.

HSC
thanx cayte:)!

Oh and when i said the sydney uni ppl were arrogant, i jus meant like one/two of the staff who were in open days, i'm sure everyone else is still nice and all:)!

So ultimately, are you saying that the major in perf. studies at USYD bachelor of arts is not very good?

cayte

Yeah, pretty much. If you like to actually perform that is. If you'd rather study sociology (DON'T!!!) under the pretence of performance then I'm sure it's ok. Otherwise I think you'd go mad.

And that's ok, most people at USyd are arrogant. Or at least most people who go to USyd because it is USyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)