Appeal to Remark an Exam...Possible? (1 Viewer)

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
as i said in the other thread my friend got a bad external mark. He made a film, sorta art nouveau - brilliant - i thought probably even better than mine and I ended up with 48. And this one girl at our school a coupla years ago got 45 - higher than his- and we were laughing at how bad it was. May I say - VERY subjective. Our english teachers just came to the conclusion the markers just didnt get it. Its the only reason to explain it - they probably thought it was some angsty teenage thing - but its not - its quite emotionally draining, original and moving and he was devastated!! He only ended up with a UAI of 95.85 because of this - and it couldve been significantly higher if he got the mark he truly deserved!

But I think he's content with his uai and won't bother hassling about it - whether you want to believe it or not - it is very subjective this subject - so its always a risk. A girl in my class got 33 for her poetry - nice work - but you know - theyre against poetry and all unless its done tremendously well.

finnos

I had high hopes for my major work, but my assesment mark was very low. it came as quite a surprise when the BOS markers marked it fairly high, but still only left me with a mark of 39. i guess its all very subjective

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
What you guys don't seem to realise is that the marks your school sends in for your internal assessment dont mean shit (as a number that is).
All those marks do is determine your rank and the relative difference between first and last in your class. Once that is worked out it all comes down to the exam (in this case the marking of the major work) which determines what you will get for both your assessment and exam marks.
If you came first in your class at school, but someone else wows the markers with a more awesome work than yours and scores say, 48, then 48 becomes your assessment mark (because that mark was the top mark, and you were deemed by your school to be the best student in the class).
Then, your work was marked and the markers hate it and give you 25/50. This mark remains your exam mark (moderated by the board of course, but in the case of EE2 I think any moderation is negligible) and then the two marks are averaged to get your HSC mark.

So stop trying to work out the assessment mark your school sent in for you, if you know your internal rank within the class, your school assessment mark means shit. These marks are used solely to determine rank.

tensai

HSC
On another note

I'm fairlt disappointed with my Extension 2 maths mark(92). Because all my teachers kept on telling me if u manage a raw mark of 60/120 u get a mark of 92. But i'm VERY SURE i got around 80/120 at least! And i was ranked 4th in my school. Was expecting 94+. SO my conclusion is: don't believe wot other ppl tell you and RANK doesn't matter that much (ppl around 10 ranks below me still gets the same school assessment mark as me)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
tensai said:
don't believe wot other ppl tell you and RANK doesn't matter that much
I hate when people offer advice when its obvious that they have no idea what their talking about. Rank does matter, a lot.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
In terms of being dissapointed by EE2 Exam marks... and appeals.... listen to someone who went through this last year.

I got a dissapointing mark for my MW (37), and my assessment mark was 49. There were five people in my class, and I had topped the class all year. Everyone else in my class got an E4 for their major work. My teacher couldn't believe the mark I got and tried to make an appeal. Nothing came of it, basically the board just ignored my teacher because it happens all the time with EE2. I applied for a clerical recheck which just ensures that all your marks were entered in to the computer properly (IT IS NOT A REMARK) and it also yielded no response. Getting the disapointing mark screwed up my UAI because I was hoping for at least an exam mark in the 40's and possibly an E4 in EE2. Then I spent a month worried about whether I would get in to my course or not and I was depressed for that whole month.

EE2 kind of cured me of my love of creative writing I am afraid to say!!!!

Basically, it's the kind of subject that can screw you over or can give you an enormous reward for your hard work. If you feel you have been hard done by, try and lodge an appeal and send away a request for a clerical recheck as well. But basically, I would be very surprised if anything came out of it.

Take comfort in knowing that you are not the only ones who have been screwed over by EE2 marking. It sucks and I remember how angry and upset I was last year, but it is just so damn subjective that it is hard to properly assess where your work will fall in terms of the marking standards for each band. Your teacher may love it, your mum and dad think it's the best thing they ever read, but some teacher who has been reading major works all day thinks that it is not so hot, and unfortunately that's what counts.

Take pride in actually doing this subject and completing a major work, because that is a feat in itself.

tensai

HSC
absolution* said:
I hate when people offer advice when its obvious that they have no idea what their talking about.

Yep, especially some teachers and one in particular by the name of Mrs JUlia Carrington from STHS. She told me with my chem rank: 19/59 i would get a top band 4 or a low band 5 if i'm lucky. And that was straight after i finished the chem exam which i felt i stuffed. U could imagine how depressed i became, which later led me to burst in tears of joy after knowing i got 87 for chem

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
tensai said:
I'm fairlt disappointed with my Extension 2 maths mark(92). Because all my teachers kept on telling me if u manage a raw mark of 60/120 u get a mark of 92. But i'm VERY SURE i got around 80/120 at least! And i was ranked 4th in my school. Was expecting 94+. SO my conclusion is: don't believe wot other ppl tell you and RANK doesn't matter that much (ppl around 10 ranks below me still gets the same school assessment mark as me)
OMFG. That is freaky. I got 92 in 4u. I expected 94+. I was ranked 4th.

Kate_J

135ttree said:
Ext. 1 english , like Ext.2 is still marked by individual markers who could easily make mistakes, as in making a 16 mark mistake!
Each exam is marked twice by 2 different markers, once in the morning and then in the afternoon. The mark you get is usually the average of these 2. If these 2 marks are incredibly different the exam will be looked at by the head marker and marked again.

Giant Lobster

HSC
i got 43/50 exam and 38/50 internal
i wrote my "story" in my xmas holidays and never touched it for the whole year, all the while faking the journal, "development processes" and internal assessments (viva voce, report etc) :D

o well, not that it counted to my uai. Just an experiment of mine to see the workload of 2 4u subjects

Adam16

I think it is also relevant to consider the different aspects of Extension English that are assessed by the school, on the one hand, and the BOS on the other. The schools, or mine at least, seem to concern themselves with evaluating the process of composition without focussing on an assessment of the work in and of itself. The BOS, in contrast, pays lip service to the process through an evaluation of the reflection statement, and deals mainly with an assessment of the finished work. Hope that wasn't too convoluted.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

CLASS OF 2004. UAI 99.95

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Thats an extremely valid point adammahoney.

And I guess its easy to get disappointed when all year all you've had is head-inflating comments on your work. Teachers tend to dote on EE2 students cos they're generally the smarter ones of the bunch so its hard to get an objective opinion (not to mention your parents of course are going to say its the best thing they've ever read).

I know a few ppl on here last year were disappointed with bad marks and couldn't understand why they didn't get 45-50/50, but I must say (without sounding too harsh) many of these ppl's works I read were quite trite, angsty and unoriginal--they may have been written well but triteness automatically pisses off a marker and it will be then end of you.

Adam16

You'll probably laugh. I did well in English Extension 2 this year - and did achieve the mark that a lot of people hunger after. But my work was a critical response based on the satire present in Gilbert and Sullivan. I think that the markers respond to something that's a little out of left field. My expression was relatively basic and my thesis was simple - many of the majorworks that I read seemed to be deliberately obscure and employed language and analysis that made them seem pretentious rather than erudite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)