• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Appeals against assessments... (1 Viewer)

has anyone appealed against a mark from an assessment and has had that mark actually changed.

I got an essay back with a mark of 60% and what my tutor wrote in the comment doesn't really go with the marks critera we got at the start of the year. And I've read other peoples essays who wrote similar things but got higher marks.

Has appealing actually worked for anyone...

i just wanna know my chances.

thanx

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Unless you've really been short-changed (like you deserve 80 or something) then it's unlikely to do much. You need to give sufficient reason for appealing.

I suggest discussing the mark with the lecturer and seeing WHY the mark was so low, before you pursue official channels. There may be a number of fundamental errors in your paper that weren't in the others you compared to.

ohne

HSC
Just talk to your lecturer and ask why your mark was so low. I don't think you should attempt making an official appeal unless the lecturer is unable to give you an explanation or you feel you have been extremely hard done by. No marking system is perfect, sometimes these things just happen.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Don't make an official appeal, just approach your tutor or lecturer about it and ask where you've gone wrong and then politely bring up the issue of marks, but make sure you have a case such as 'you only gave me xx marks out of xx for this section although i've clearly demonstrated and fulfilled the marking criteria, so shouldn't I get a few more marks there'...

but just a quick rule, don't say something like 'but my friends and my essays are exactly the same and she got higher marks'... because that tends not to go down well.... and it actually has happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)